silverskinner 210 petty/suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk

Reaction score
so I've been filling out my specialized 'utility' knives, as I don't really have any. Ordered an aframes munetoshi butcher and a lefty kanehide honesuki. 240+ suji are not a priority for me but a 210 petty/suji for trimming and small portioning is. The classic recommendation seems to be the ginga, then some for kono. I noticed wakui also has a 210 suji, all right around 30mm height. Anyone have another recommendation, or experience with all 3?

I bought a ginga 210 petty for this reason. It was too flexy for me, preferred something stiffer. My 2 cents
Ah yeah I did read about flex inherent in this size. Maybe the wakui will have less since it's got a stronger taper?

I prefer the Munetoshi slicer over the butcher for trimming and portioning. The Itinomonn 210 petty is what I use most trimming and as a line knife but those are no longer available. The Kono would be my last choice because of the height and weight, fine for trimming but not portioning.

I use an AS Zakuri 210 petty for this and portioning...no flex!
zakuri.JPG

Last edited:
I was perusing Bernal's "Butcher" offerings earlier and noticed a couple lefty knives, including a honesuki IIRC. I don't do lefty so I was speed reading past them while looking for a 10" Silverthorn.

For silverskiin, I strongly prefer the 180 petty over 210. A 210 that's thin enough is invariably to flexi.

IMG_20200406_191702_238.jpg

I have a 180mm Zakuri, and I'm pretty stoked with it. Very pointy tip; slips right under silver skin. Definitely a bit more beef on the spine than any of the lasers. Also, pretty even grind for a low price point KU knife. 210's are pretty common, but I'm overall happy with the 180.

i think i might go wa handle ginga 210 when shops stock them again, it'll be 196mm according to jki, so something in between. That said I could also wait for some zakuri to be available again for a budget option, as I'm not exactly breaking down meat often. I'll keep trying to grind down one of my munetoshi petties to oblivion so maybe i can procure a thin enough tip on that as well.

Another Zakuri user here, but the Munetoshi slicer seems like it could be a good option too. I’ve been wanting one of those and trying to decide what I need it for.

i think i might go wa handle ginga 210 when shops stock them again, it'll be 196mm according to jki, so something in between. That said I could also wait for some zakuri to be available again for a budget option, as I'm not exactly breaking down meat often. I'll keep trying to grind down one of my munetoshi petties to oblivion so maybe i can procure a thin enough tip on that as well.
If you're thinking of getting a Ginga you might also consider a Suisin Inox Honyaki, 20% off at Korin.

I have a Kono HD2 which is quite nice if a bit flexi. Before that I was using a Sakai Yusuke W2 that was quite stiff but needed some thinning. Obviously the F&F on the Kono is much nicer but the Yusuke for the price still finds its way into my daily drivers.

Back