• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Single-bevel knives to practice sharpening and polishing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking for some inexpensive single-bevel knives, especially usuba, deba and/or yanagiba, in any size to practice sharpening and polishing. Carbon steel, iron cladding (no stainless). Hopefully the knife is in good enough shape (decent grind, geometry, ura) that a beginner with single bevels like me can make it properly sharp.

I have some kiridashi that I have practiced on a bit but want to practice on some regular knives. I am also open to other suggestions if this endeavor sounds like a waste of money and time!

I've had the experience that practice sharpening with used yanagibas is very difficult. 9 out of 10 are bend. The same with Usuba knives. Deba knives are most time ok. I think a ~100$ practice Yanagiba from Tojiro or other brands is the best option for you.

I bought a single bevel petty as my first one since I figured it being shorter would be easier (which it was). It ended up being my favorite knife for about a year. Just food for thought.

Back