Single bevel.......petty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian Chan

Reaction score
As titled.
I've been on the hunt for a single bevel petty in the UK, so far I've found an out of stock ittetsu 150mm that fits the wallet and the bill, but as said, it's out of stock.

Would anyone have any light to shed on the topic or such in general?

Are you righty? If not, that might change availability quite a bit.

Thank you all. I'm a righty which makes finding things easier.

I can't really find knives on ebay here, I think ebay uk doesn't seem to allow "weapons"...
Watanabe - had a look, nothing particularly floated my boat in that link but i have noticed their debas, which may mean I'd try and get one some time!
JCK is sadly out of stock. Someone's kindly dropped a message to me suggesting knife japan however, which I may try as they're also a good bit cheaper!

What's the intended use? Petty knives are in short supply at the moment, in the UK, EU and even on JCK

May I suggest getting a Mukimono instead of a SB petty? It is much sexier and you will not use a petty again once you have used a Mukimono.

For example Here and Here

I have a cute little Aritsugu 159mm "single" bevel petty that's like 99/1 degree. Super fun to use, blue #1 or #2 steel, I forgot. Got it while at Tsukiji fish market in tokyo in 2018

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. Been away for a few days busy and hadn't checked and there's a lot of info!

I will be using it as probably the utility knife, but mainly just mincing herbs and garlic, and helping with little bits of fish prep (cutting scales off, trimming fillets, anything small and fiddly), and if I'm really lazy the odd slice of meat.
It's not going to be a main knife so I'm perhaps not keen on spending hundreds on it.
I've had a chat with Michael at knife japan, so he's going to keep his eyes peeled for me, so far there seem to be some good options, but as I can wait, I shall not jump straight in! :)

I think I would just look for a double bevel, I think you will have more trouble that it's worth for a single bevel petty for those uses. And you won't have to wait!

I think I would just look for a double bevel, I think you will have more trouble that it's worth for a single bevel petty for those uses. And you won't have to wait!
Quite possibly. However, for the right budget, I shall be willing to wait, as really the petty is hardly a miss for now. It's convenient but not a must for me.
I do however (off topic) want to sell my kurosaki shizuku gyuto, as I'd like to go back to a carbon steel one! that may take some work.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. Been away for a few days busy and hadn't checked and there's a lot of info!

I will be using it as probably the utility knife, but mainly just mincing herbs and garlic, and helping with little bits of fish prep (cutting scales off, trimming fillets, anything small and fiddly), and if I'm really lazy the odd slice of meat.
It's not going to be a main knife so I'm perhaps not keen on spending hundreds on it.
I've had a chat with Michael at knife japan, so he's going to keep his eyes peeled for me, so far there seem to be some good options, but as I can wait, I shall not jump straight in! :)
Maybe a Takayuki Kasumi 180mm yanagiba or 180mm mukimono would come close to what you're looking for. An extreme asymmetric double-bevel petty knife might also work, as others have posted.

Some might use a sakimaru-takohiki for similar such tasks, but that's likely above your intended price point.

Last edited:
Back