Sink bridge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving soon, lookin to get a sink bridge as my current set up doesn’t travel well. Any suggestions on which one to get? I don’t mind spending the money if it means it works well and will last forever, not supposed to budget options either as I don’t know much about these products.

thanks!

Couple threads on here re Show your sharpening setup. Give em a look and see what you like.

I've tried a few and have settled on a poly cutting board cut to fit sink. When I've moved, I've cut a new board to fit the new sink. I use it with a JKI stone holder.

Couple threads on here re Show your sharpening setup. Give em a look and see what you like.

I've tried a few and have settled on a poly cutting board cut to fit sink. When I've moved, I've cut a new board to fit the new sink. I use it with a JKI stone holder.
Have you posted pics of this? I'm interested in seeing how it wedges in place.

I cut up a piece of 2x4, and screwed two pieces together, one a few inches longer than the other. I fitted the smaller one into the sink and sanded it thoroughly so it wouldn't scratch. The longer one sits on top, and creates the base for the stones. It's super stable and solid, and it cost me nothing but about 30 minutes of my time.

I got the Suehiro one. It works good. I have no complaints. It was $40 if I remember correctly. I wouldn't sharpen on it like I was The Incredible Hulk enraged though.

that’s the one I’ve been lookin at, how’s it do holding stones with bases?
it's nicely built. the construction is pretty robust. the only downside is that non-adjustable stopper placement is placed all the way to the front side. if you use the original mounting, all the water & mud will splash on your shirt when your sharpening (also the water will run everywhere on your countertop). I put the stone in the middle and use some shelf liner for shepening.

that’s the one I’ve been lookin at, how’s it do holding stones with bases?

it’s adjustable and can hold a good range of sizes. I have a couple rather larger ones that nestles nicely.
i also use a couple of the larger rubber stone holders on it for various stones to raise them up. Being “taller”, this helps with the ol’ bacl.

it's nicely built. the construction is pretty robust. the only downside is that non-adjustable stopper placement is placed all the way to the front side. if you use the original mounting, all the water & mud will splash on your shirt when your sharpening (also the water will run everywhere on your countertop). I put the stone in the middle and use some shelf liner for shepening.

I don’t have this issue really. Sometimes the water will spill onto the counter but the fix for this is easy. I take a paper towel and fold it up small and thick and wedge it under the side closest to me. This raises it up a 1/4“ and causes the water to drain forward.

The Kramer works fine with stones with bases. I'd sell you mine, but the cost of shipping would make it not worth while for either of us. Keep an eye out on ebay.

Moving soon, lookin to get a sink bridge as my current set up doesn’t travel well. Any suggestions on which one to get? I don’t mind spending the money if it means it works well and will last forever, not supposed to budget options either as I don’t know much about these products.

thanks!
I bought the Naniwa metal sink bridge a few months ago. I've been happy with it and cleans up easily and fast too

I was going to buy the Kramer one but it was out of stock everywhere for months. I ended up paying twice as much for the Tojiro, but I'm very pleased with it. It's sizable and not the lightest thing in the world, so I'm not sure if it qualifies as "traveling well" (which seems to be an important criterion for the OP). But it's real, real nice.

The Tojiro bridge was my preverbal "last straw" with Togo. Seems well built but poorly packed. Mine arrived from Togo with 2 of the knurled plastic screw heads broken - they were loose in the box with the unsecured holder. Nothing to suggest the box had even been opened for a qa check after it's trip from Japan. I thought the fix would be an easy day - put a couple screws in the mail. Instead Mark referred me to the maker (still in Japan) for relief. For more than 5 years it's lived in my box of useless crap. And I don't shop at Togo anymore..

+3 on the suehiro. i've been using it for 2 years. solid construction and thoughtful design. i like that there are drainage holes on both sides of the bridge. obviously works well with kitchen sinks but, as @IsoJ mentions, surprisingly well and stable on polycarb containers too.

the rubber ends on each side are stiff but pliable enough to conform to the rounded corners of sinks (my sink is weird hence the sink bridge's awkward placement at the edge of the sink).

Attachments

• IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The Tojiro bridge was my preverbal "last straw" with Togo. Seems well built but poorly packed. Mine arrived from Togo with 2 of the knurled plastic screw heads broken - they were loose in the box with the unsecured holder. Nothing to suggest the box had even been opened for a qa check after it's trip from Japan. I thought the fix would be an easy day - put a couple screws in the mail. Instead Mark referred me to the maker (still in Japan) for relief. For more than 5 years it's lived in my box of useless crap. And I don't shop at Togo anymore..

That sounds awful. I can understand why you'd be turned off by the experience and why you wouldn't shop there anymore after that incident. I've had nothing but good experiences with CKTG and Mark, but nothing's ever gone wrong for me either.

Got this one (DMD Tools, but also sold under other brand names on Amazon) yesterday and I haven't sharpened anything with it yet but I tried setting it up and it seems pretty solid. Looks like a great alternative to the Kasfly sink bridge for the price so far.

fwiw I have the Kasfly and I really like it.

that said, if you use naturals, it may not be enough by itself for your stones that arent well shaped because the side walls of the holder are a bit short and metal. my solution is to use my suehiro holder placed in the sink bridge slots and that works great but it's another few bucks you would have to spend.

if all you own are perfectly cut beauties it wont matter though. personally though I have a mix and I suspect that's prolly true of most JNat owners

Reactions: hmh
I use a scrap piece of 2x4 and some non slip mats. No issues so far for me and leaves more room for stones in the budget. Someday I’ll do something super nice though. Right after I have a metro rack full of beautiful naturals…

The bamboo bridge at CKTG (same as Zwilling but half the price I think).
cheap and easy. Love the bamboo - doesn’t scratch anything and dries quick, and hasn’t broken or rusted anywhere after 1 year of use. As others have mentioned- cannot move the stone location on one end so makes a little bit of a mess.

Last edited:
I’m not sure this is still relevant as the OP asked for info back in 2020 but FWIW, I’ve been using the Kramer bamboo bridge for several years and relatively happy with it. It’s fine for regular shaped rectangular stones. The only problem that I’ve experienced is once water gets under the rubber padded feet, it tends to slip off the sink if I’m too aggressive when flattening my stone after use. This may be just be due to my type of synthetic stone countertop, idk. I assume though it would happen probably with any rubber footed bridge so not a knock against the Kramer. The bamboo is very aesthetically pleasing so wife is happy.

Back