Size Matters: What’s Your Go-To BIG Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good things...
These three at the moment.
Birgersson #73 164mm Gyuto
Birgersson #33 224mm Gyuto
Gyuto Knife single bevel - MIURA - Itadaki Serie - White Steel No.2 - 210mm
I prefer them short. Less than 210 with an exception for the Birgersson.
E402561A-407F-4056-9DB9-275ED68571E1_1_105_c.jpeg
92F469FA-7CFE-445F-B87F-086185B4BFEB_1_105_c.jpeg

Only full size knife I ve is 315 Raquin. Then I grab my midsize Toyama 270 and as a small breakfast knife I grab usualy Kato 240 😜😅

View attachment 131778
View attachment 131779
Next to small 260 Raquin (on WTT)
View attachment 131780
Admittedly, I'm having big knife envy! Seeing all these awesome big gyutos is kinda inspiring me to push my 210s–225s aside and give my 270 some love. For me, the sub-240 knives do offer more versatility, time to re-appreciate longer blades.

Last edited:
I’m not here to defend it because I don’t own it - I’ve been interested and considering it whenever it is back in stock, but the 270mm Zakuri Gyuto (Blue #1 and super) are conspicuously missing from this thread so far. It’s got the weird belly thing going on, but any other reasons for the un-love?

Toyama 180 nakiri. It just kind of snuck in there and replaced my larger gyutos over the past year. Every time I pull out a gyuto larger than my 205-ish Sukenari I end up deciding that particular nakiri is a better cutter for the sort of things I used to use longer knives for.

Square is my new triangle!

Toyama 180 nakiri. It just kind of snuck in there and replaced my larger gyutos over the past year. Every time I pull out a gyuto larger than my 205-ish Sukenari I end up deciding that particular nakiri is a better cutter for the sort of things I used to use longer knives for.

Square is my new triangle!
I have a 210 Toyama Nakuru and it’s arguable one of the best(best) cutters I have.

I have a 210 Toyama Nakuru and it’s arguable one of the best(best) cutters I have.
I was stalking one of those 210s for a while when they were rarely in stock and eventually decided I couldn’t justify the expense for what seemed like a niche knife, especially when much more skilled and busy cooks than I prefer gyutos …but jeez, having posted the above I think I’m ready to love myself! Probably gonna have to get one!

I have a 10" Four Star. With a Wa handle. (There was drinking involved)

What is a Wa handle? Do you have a picture? ( there is drinking involved with this question)

I do have a Henckels 11.5 inch chefs knife that I use for big stuff.

I shouldn't post here because I can't choose 😬. Heftier knives from 250gr+ are my goto and the blade size doesn't matter so much. More about the performance, balance, weight distribution and feel in hand. I took four knives from the closet, all different grinds, all weight between 300-330gr.

Watanabe 270
Yanick 265
Isasmedjan 255
Kippington 240

View attachment 131785
Can I choose one? 😈

To those who use knives that are anywhere from 275g-330g+. You never find that heavy a knife too cumbersome? I’ve never used anything above 230g.

I only use my big knife (ZKramer Carbon 10" which is 300g) for certain tasks. I bought a lighter 240 (190g) for when I wanted to do something speedier.

To those who use knives that are anywhere from 275g-330g+. You never find that heavy a knife too cumbersome? I’ve never used anything above 230g.
I personally finds Heavier knives better at chopping, this is why I only grab them when comes to heavy chopping, requires less force on tougher tasks.
For push cutting I grab mid-weight.
And then for slicing(my main cutting motion), I went for lighter lasers.
Main goal is to let arm rest as much as possible, so you won’t feel arm soreness at the end of the shift after cutting all day.

No, as my only experience in a restaurant was using a big knife when I was a kid so I grew up with it seeming normal to me. To me they help with chopping and also seem faster to me. I watch my wife with a paring knife and it seems so slow when she chops.

Back