SKD vs SG2 Steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best way to decide is to buy both. Then a couple more. Then a few more after that.
I know it's hard to tell people which one is better than the other one because people have different taste, purpose and other things. The best way is to try it ourselves and decide which one fit our purpose.

But sometimes we don't have that privilege to buy the same type of knife just to try them. In this case, going to the knife store is the best way since we can try a bunch of knives in there 😊

Also sometimes in the area where we live there is no knife shop and that's where we ask people who own a particular knife and experience it themselves. Otherwise we over bought. We all do LOL

Last edited:
I know it's hard to tell people which one is better than the other one because people have different taste, purpose and other things. The best way is to try it ourselves and decide which one fit our purpose.

But sometimes we don't have that privilege to buy the same type of knife just to try them. In this case, going to the knife store is the best way since we can try a bunch of knives in there 😊

Also sometimes in the area where we live there is no knife shop and that's where we ask people who own a particular knife and experience it themselves. Otherwise we over bought. We all do LOL

My answer was a just a little bit tongue in cheek of course. But you can resell popular knives on BST for a relatively small loss. It might be a bit more difficult for you to resell since you’re in Indonesia, but for the right price there’s always a buyer. Or flip the script - Yoshis pop up on BST every once in a while and you might be able to grab one at a a discount; unfortunately most of the action is within the US with Europe running a distant 2nd.

The $200 - $400 price range is a sweet spot for j-knives, IMHO. Lots of great options and plenty of willing buyers for lightly used knives.

My answer was a just a little bit tongue in cheek of course. But you can resell popular knives on BST for a relatively small loss. It might be a bit more difficult for you to resell since you’re in Indonesia, but for the right price there’s always a buyer. Or flip the script - Yoshis pop up on BST every once in a while and you might be able to grab one at a a discount; unfortunately most of the action is within the US with Europe running a distant 2nd.

The $200 - $400 price range is a sweet spot for j-knives, IMHO. Lots of great options and plenty of willing buyers for lightly used knives.
Yup, I guess I just wait for someone to sell their Yoshi SKD 240mm Gyuto. Or maybe I'll post WTB on BTS section.

Just received this knife 2 days ago, Yoshikane SKD (Hatsukokoro). Weight is perfect for 240mm gyuto, edge grind is perfect and I can't wait to try it.
Thanks y'all for suggesting me this knife.

IMG_20220629_093810.jpg

Back