Skoal, Skoal, for Norway, Skoal!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
20190108_024518.jpg

20190108_024406.jpg

My ex wife's Finnish grandfather used this as his hunting knife, it came to me after he died- as no other male still living in that family had anything like good taste (or common sense).

I just found it in the back of my hunting equipment drawer and touched up the edge, it now will shave. Looks like a tourist piece? But seems to be quite servicable. It was certainly used in the field several decades back.

Pretty sure it's made by Mora of Sweden, and as he was a Finn, he would have called this a "pukho", I expect.

Anyone know anything else about this knife? I vaguely recall a Mora catalogue a long time ago with pictures of something similar, but not identical.

Stainless blade with a rat tail, one piece baltic birch handle finished in some type of varnish that has crazed a bit. I think the butt cap is a high tin alloy (pewter of some kind?), it has developed the characteristic slightly gold patina old tin develops.

-----------

Skoal! Skoal! For Norway Skoal!
Sing ye the song of the Vand-dam troll.
When I am hiding Norway's luck
On a White Storbuk
Comes riding, riding.

(Yes, I know that Finland/Lapland and Norway are no longer of a single piece). Sweden, Norway and Finland/Lapland used to be mostly under Swedish crown management, prior to various machinations by Imperial Russia, Great Britain and Napoleonic France... With those intrigues, wranglings and secessions continuing right through WWI when the Finns kicked out their Russian Imperial overlords. And a brief remission into chaos and shifting borders from attempts to re-acquire Finland by Stalin, running from the winter war through the continuation war(s)/WWII.

Too bad about Karalia, but the Russians DID need a graveyard pretty much that size to hold their casualties from the winter war.

The Raven and the Lion
They held the Bear at bay;
But he picked the bones of both
When they quarrelled by the way.

Last edited:
Who are the raven and the lion? The Bear I can guess.

Hi Bert,

This knife is made by Marttiini (Finland) and its called ”lapinleuku”. I have the same knife my grandfather left to me.

Who are the raven and the lion? The Bear I can guess.

The raven is Norway (Odin had as familiars two ravens), the eagle is Sweden (heraldry, used by Swedish royalty) .

The verses are from a book I read as a child (shortly after the last ice age) "Animal Heroes" by Ernest Thompson Seton. Last story in the book if you want to read it- "The Legend of the White Reindeer"

It's available on Project Gutenberg for free, long out of copyright.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2284?msg=welcome_stranger

Last edited:
Back