slicing bread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serrated knives are extremely useful to me - pineapples, smoked and cured meats, harder cheeses, roasts, beef wellington, wraps, hard waffle cakes, fish with harder skin. Basically anything what makes my gyuto suffer wedging.

Hate to revive a 4 year old thread, but I just toasted a burger bun as a toast for my sons' dinner and wanted to test the edge durability knowing it'll be hard and I'll have to push cut it, pretty positive I wasn't torquing the knife while doing so.

Is it possible the knife dulled in some spots after 3-4 of those cuts?
Not from 3-4 cuts. It actually takes a lot for a hard steel knife to go dull, unless you're talking about the off the stone feel.

I used to go through 100ish paninis a service, made with focaccia that got SUPER crispy and I only needed a touch up every other day. That's with my other orders and enough prep for 30-40L of soup as well.

Imo serrated knives suit cooks more than tasks. Unless you're literally only cutting hard bread every day there isn't a reason to prefer one. I honestly gave my last one away because it was just rotting in my bag.

Some of the best cooks I know buy a new Victorinox once or twice a year and that's it. A plastic edge guard, usually thrown straight into a backpack.

Last edited:
Some of the best cooks I know buy a new Victorinox once or twice a year and that's it.
I can sort of see why. Dirt cheap, and they work.

I just used two of them, and was quite impressed. Sure, they have a terrible tacky plastic handle (that, incidentally, is really grippy and comfortable), and they have no artisan cachet to them whatsoever. But they do cut well!

If I had nothing but Victorinox for the remainder of my cooking days, I'd be sad. But cooking happily, regardless.

I hate bread knives. I never use them and I discourage my cooks from using them or carrying them in their knife kits. I'm sure some people do great work with them. But I find that if they are in a restaurant they are far more likely to be used by a server or busser to destroy all the cutting boards and contaminate all the bread baskets with plastic microparticles than to actually be used for food preparation.

Back