Slicing Prosciutto Ends

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice here...

I've been buying prosciutto ends which are great to keep in the fridge for either snacks or as a flavor base in recipes. They average about two pounds each. Looking for advice about how to slice it. (btw, for the NY'ers, I get them at Eataly, twelve bucks a pound)

I bought a groovy fujiwara suji from @OnionSlicer which was one of the great knife deals I've ever gotten. It's a great knife for my purposes and it's pretty sharp.

I've been trying to slice these things perpendicular to the direction of the bone, which is the way they sell slices in Eataly, but my slices are still too thick. I went into the spanish store in town the other day and they were hand slicing ham parallel to the bone and making much shorter slices. I know that's traditionally how "cortador de jamones" do the job.

Obviously, my little prosciutto ends are a bit dinkier than these majestic Ibericos the guy was working with, but just wondering, which way do you think is best for me at home to pursue?

Thanks, as always, for the advice

Rick

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pgxkg8/this-guy-gets-paid-thousands-of-dollars-to-slice-ham

This could be an excuse to get a deli slicer..

Back