Slightly warped Hasegawa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thpp9

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a Hasegawa cutting board. Unfortunately, it's a bit warped near on one of its corners. It's not really noticeable on use, especially if you put a towel or something beneath it. I've used it for about a week till I noticed it so I guess returning it isn't an option now. At least, it's usable. It's mostly an issue with my OCDs lol.

Is there something I could do? I placed some weight on it (enough to make it stay flat) for 2 days but there wasn't much of an improvement.

I will have to leave my home for a while (military duties) and I will try placing something on it till I come back just in case lol.

Did any of you have a similar issue, and if so, how did you address it? Is there any hope?

PS: I will upload some pictures when I get home to get a more clear picture of the situation

TIA!

I will add some pictures below, probably more than necessary, just to give you a clear understanding of what's going on. Once again, thank you for taking the time to read all this!

----------------------------

Cutting board facing upwards (I assume that when the Sushi Robots logo is visible, the board it's upwards). The top left corner seems to be slightly bent.

IMG_20220227_000636.jpg

Here is a "spine shot" showing the top left corner
IMG_20220226_233751.jpg

Here is another spine shot from the other 2 corners

Screenshot_2022-02-27-00-08-06-150_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Board facing upwards. Bent corner sits on top left of the photo.

IMG_20220226_233323.jpg

Here I rotate the board, the bent corner goes to the bottom right and board still facing upwards.

IMG_20220226_233349.jpg

Board facing downwards. Bent corner circled.

IMG_20220227_001943.jpg

Board rotated and still facing downwards. Bent corner circled once more.

IMG_20220227_002155.jpg

Measuring the gap with a"coin test" at the worst spot.

IMG_20220226_234714.jpg

Maybe heat in low oven then weigh down and allow to cool?? According to their website, OK to 195 F and above
I don't think it's gonna fit in my oven. Even tho it's unlikely, I will try test it tomorrow.

did you contact your vendor? EU law covers you as (private) customer, and a Japanese manufacturere may not even need that sort of nudge in the right direction....

did you contact your vendor? EU law covers you as (private) customer, and a Japanese manufacturere may not even need that sort of nudge in the right direction....
I will try contacting them and see if we can work something out. But since I have already used, I find it a bit difficult. Doesn't hurt to try tho.

using it does not warp it, or it should not..it's not as if it's a cheap board so warping is not something you might expect.

using it does not warp it, or it should not..it's not as if it's a cheap board so warping is not something you might expect.
Yeah that's true. I will send them an email and try to figure something out.

I have a small size hasegawa wood core board, it has a slight warp to it to it (not just one corner, a slight bend across the 4 corners). FWIW, I've used it in the dishwasher numerous times and the warping didn't change.

get a heat gun, heat it up slightly but enough that its somewhat malleable, then set a bunch of weights on the board. leave it overnight and it should do the trick.
I don't have a heat gun unfortunately. Closest thing I have is a hair dryer 😂
I don't know if that will have the same effect but if the oven trick doesn't work I will give it a try.

I tried this more leaving it in the oven for 5 minutes, it became warmer and a bit more malleable, but the cutting board itself was nowhere near the 80°C mark. I placed enough weight on top to make it sit flat afterwards but after removing the weights 2-3 hours later there was no noticeable change. I placed it again in the oven for 15 minutes, it definitely became hotter and placed some weight on top. I will check it in the evening and I will take it from there.

I am just mentioning this if anyone is interested about what the vendor (Sushi-robots.eu) had to say.

I don't know if that's appropriate to post here. If it isn't, mods are welcomed to delete it.

I contacted the vendor on Sunday and they replied to me today.

I told him that I used the board a couple of times and I noticed that it's not straight. I attached the pictures from this thread to provide some proof. His response was: "this must have happened because you put it in the dishwasher, the board was straight when we sent it". So they advertise the cutting board as dishwasher-safe, but I can't put it in the dishwasher (which I haven't done....).

After explaining that there is no way that it's user error (hand washing it and storing it flat on countertop), he offer -10% off at my next order, which is what the site already offers just for signing the newsletter....

I told him about the newsletter thing and that I understand that a replacement can't be done since the board is used, so I would like at least a partial refund. He offered a -20% discount on next order and said that's the best he can do, since more than a month went by since I made the order and if it was something wrong I should have expressed reservations when I received it.

It's not like the -20% got me pissed, but the fact that he couldn't get his facts straight. He accused me of bending the cutting board by putting it in the dishwasher, yet on his site its claimed to be dishwasher-safe. Also just to be clear, the order was made on Feb 8th and the product was received on the 18th. 9 days passed since I got the board (I came in contact with them on the 27th of Feb) but according to them that's more than a month....

After pointing those two things out, he never replied to me. And he never provided me with the -20% as well.

I may be in the wrong, but honestly I wasn't really satisfied with the service. I received a bent board, blamed me for it and then offered me something in exchange which I find inadequate, and funnily enough didn't even provide it in the end.

You can draw your own conclusions from this whole story.

I don't have a heat gun unfortunately. Closest thing I have is a hair dryer 😂
I don't know if that will have the same effect but if the oven trick doesn't work I will give it a try.

I tried this more leaving it in the oven for 5 minutes, it became warmer and a bit more malleable, but the cutting board itself was nowhere near the 80°C mark. I placed enough weight on top to make it sit flat afterwards but after removing the weights 2-3 hours later there was no noticeable change. I placed it again in the oven for 15 minutes, it definitely became hotter and placed some weight on top. I will check it in the evening and I will take it from there.

5 minutes isn’t nearly enough to warm it close to 80, when the oven itself is set to 80. Probably you’d need closer to 45 mins to get it warmed all the way through. After that, leave the weights at least overnight, 12+ hours.

5 minutes isn’t nearly enough to warm it close to 80, when the oven itself is set to 80. Probably you’d need closer to 45 mins to get it warmed all the way through. After that, leave the weights at least overnight, 12+ hours.
I left it 30 minutes today and it came out pretty hot. Right now there are some weights on top, which I will remove tomorrow morning. I am gonna see how things are going and take it from there.

Probably the time you suggested is pretty accurate from what I've tried so far.

Edit: After the 15minute warming and letting it rest with weight on top, the coin didn't fit under it, so it seems that it's kinda working at least

Back