Small Chefs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much exclusively use 240-280s.

FWIW, I have a big kitchen, a big board and I am tall. I am also not a pro, so I guess I'm under a fair bit less time pressure.

It’s just what suits you best and what you’re used to and skilled with.
Personally I like heavier blades and a longer taller blade allows for that possibility, as well as a thicker spine, while still remaining thin behind the edge, thus giving the knife itself more cutting power without requiring as much user force.

Anything you can do with a petty or short gyuto you can do with a well ground, well dimensioned 270. Tips for garlic and peeling, the flat spots for chopping, the length for slicing or push cutting, etc.
It's all mostly down to technique, no matter what the size of knife. People often think about the overall length and the heel height, but not about how the individual sections of the blade can function.

I concur with some of tgfencers comments. I find my 165 mm nakiri nimble and useful, on the other side I prefer my 300 mm yanagiba to the shorter ones for the cuts it allows, my 255 gyuto allows me to use different parts of the blade for different things in a complicated meal ( tip for precision cuts, middle for bigger pieces, chin for mincing) without switching blades but when I am not thinking I usually reach out to the 210 mm gyutos and choose the heavier ones more often than not for the pleasure of the feel and way they perform

I am a home cook and use 210mm Gyuto for the vast majority of my prep. I have a couple larger 240mm & 10" that see occasional use, but the (3) 210's and a couple 165's get much more use for me.

Only when I see a large pile of vegetables on the board will I reach for the 240, and then it is only so I can play with it. 210 is the largest knife I really need.

I have been interested in a 180mm Gyuto, but I have been away from Kitchen Knife buying for some time. I am about ready to get something new.

300mm yanagiba and 240mm gyuto are my daily knives at extremely fast pace sushi bar.

I haven't used knives as small as the OP's, but I do really like the 150 mm Gyuto I got from FT. It is very light and nimble. I've historically done most work with an 8" German knife. I picked up a 240 mm Blazen primarily based on what I see on this board. It's a good knife, but I've got to say I still prefer the smaller, lighter knives for my home cooking needs. By the way, I'm no petite flower at 6' tall and more pounds than I care to admit.

I often use a 150mm petty for quick meals. It’s easy to take out and just prep for one or two people

Excellent! Glad it's not just me who gets to the end of a thread and ends up buying a new knife.

When I make stir-fry, my wife will prep an entire mountain of produce with a 125mm petty and then whip out a 210mm gyuto just to cut up some boneless chicken filet. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back