Small Gyuto & new Suji choice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
I ended up doing two things for a gyuto, i purchased a smaller utility knife to start.

http://www.zwillingonline.com/30860160.html

The fit/finish of this knife is excellent and great value at the moment.

Then im going to go with a custom 180mm over the next few weeks, details to be confirmed.

Next on the list is a Suji, im thinking of the 270 Hattori FH with ebony handle @ JCK, this appears to be a very well made thin super sharp high quality knife with excellent f&f. Would there be any other comparable choices around $200-$250, again must be 50/50 and with a larger yo handle, f&f has to be of the highest standard, as im not a pro i still want sharpness but things like edge retention are not a great concern due to lighter use.

Alan

Al,

Masahiro MV-B or MV-H, Konosuke HD, Masamoto VG or Togiharu G-1 springs to mind for the 'larger yo handle' criterion.

The Kikuichi Performance TKC looks like a bargain too.

I would tend to favour the semi stainless options (ie HD or TKC).

PS: the Masamoto, Togiharu, Masahiro MV-H and MV-P all have POM (not pakkawood) handles. The HD can be ordered with custom white micarta handles (according to the Konosuke site).

I have a slight soft spot for Cermax knives. I first saw them in Spain a couple years ago, and they really are one of the more attractive knives out there. Great steel, too!

I have a slight soft spot for Cermax knives. I first saw them in Spain a couple years ago, and they really are one of the more attractive knives out there. Great steel, too!

I got a really good deal on this knife and was blown away when i opened the box. The handle is fantastic and the quality of teh blade seems very high, especially considering the cost

Alan

Agreed. My only real qualms are the handle's mass is a bit too much for me, and the HRC being 66 makes me awfully nervous about chipping.
They are stunners and very nice knives from what i've read, so "nice find!"

I cant find the Konosuke website, do you have a link please

I cant find the Konosuke website, do you have a link please

There is no English version so you will need to use Language Tools to get around. Or you could order through japaneseknifeimports.com when Jon Broida gets back:

http://www.konosuke-sakai.com/western.html

PS: I am going to send an email to Keiichi at Bluewayjapan and find out how much the white micarta option is. He is based near Sakai so I usually direct my Sakai cutlery enquiries to him. It might take a coupla days to get an answer. Check it out here:
http://www.konosuke-sakai.com/other/log/cat21/165.html

Is it OK to post a link to where I got the knife ?

I dont want to be accused of advertising for a website but i paid $60 brand new for the Cermax which I think was a great deal

Seb

That almost looks like a mother of pearl sort of finish, have you ever seen a knife with that handle ?

Alan

It's white Corian, not micarta. My bad.

Same as on the Nenox SD series.

You can take a closer look at the Masahiro MV-H series here. Notice how light this one is for a 270mm Yo-sujihiki (6.5oz).

Back