Smoking Food (Meat)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s up with this pic?

View attachment 139910

It’s taken in New Zealand. A while back I spent about half time in NZ. When making arrangements prior to arrival I was assured that there was a functioning BBQ on site. When I arrived …. NOT! It was pretty much only suitable for carbonizing sausages. A short time later and a WHOLE lot of searching this was what I added to make survival possible. I introduced the neighbourhood to real BBQ. Good times!
All the bases covered, can't go wrong with that setup 👍.

I've been on a sausage kick lately

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I posted on the wrong thread. sorry. you can delete.

Last edited:
Never tried peppers … I’m off today to pick up a brisket … probably the last of the season (sniff … sniff). I’ll add some peppers to the smoke and see how they turn out. I’m absolutely loving my new Thermapen Smoke+Bellows. It almost takes the adventure out of a smoke but it sure is slick. Feed it, fire it and let it blow!

My Thanksgiving (Canadian) Turkey … on the Green Egg

C383F710-3AA4-4B7C-A835-F628C1BF0AA0.jpeg
A32323C7-1907-4916-9474-E98EBAA8562C.jpeg

For my tastes a little over cooked but I was doing it up for a “traditional” crowd. This was the first time I had smoked a turkey. Three things I learned. First, spatchcocking the bird is the way to go. Cooks much faster. Second, I should have put an aluminum pan under the bird to catch the drippings for gravy. Third, I should have cooked the bird with the legs facing the hot side of the Egg with a bit of aluminum foil over the leg tips. The bird is wired up to my Thermapen Smoke. Great product … saves a lot of work and fussing about.

I couldn’t resist the opportunity to smoke beef long ribs on my Green Egg. I cooked in smoke to 165F then wrapped and finished the cook at 205F internal, absolutely delicious but even on sale the ribs are getting so expensive that one thinks twice before buying them. I would say the cost of meat is up by 30% since January.

6E42F9F0-B965-4286-8DE9-0C1FBD61EAC3.jpeg
B1B6CB2F-E69C-4A83-AAC7-A281A72AAA82.jpeg
8A0D513B-A1D7-4321-8914-943628485EB9.jpeg
9DD35D1F-A477-4C2B-99AB-6B587EC35340.jpeg

I am fine tuning my own smoker build at the moment. It’s a vertical setup with an old wood burning stove as a firebox and a stainless steel potable water cabinet I “acquired” from work. Still plugging up holes and other tuning but I can hold 250-275 without any problems. It holds 8 full sheet pans with room to spare.

Attachments

• 910651D0-9EB5-402C-9A3A-1727E31798E7.jpeg
    910651D0-9EB5-402C-9A3A-1727E31798E7.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 5
  • C819AB99-B777-44D4-B38B-89E5F3C922E0.jpeg
    C819AB99-B777-44D4-B38B-89E5F3C922E0.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 6
  • AD00C329-2CAA-4264-81B0-26B4F46C3564.jpeg
    AD00C329-2CAA-4264-81B0-26B4F46C3564.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4A23A11B-BECC-4546-96C1-C2050C5A2544.jpeg
    4A23A11B-BECC-4546-96C1-C2050C5A2544.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 7
I smoked a few pork butts on Halloween. I did not get a finished picture but they were good as they smoked 6 hours. It was dark and I was busy. I took 1 pork butt over to my neighbors for a small get together. Alcohol was involved.

I put new grates in my smoker as the old ones were getting old and saggy.

I am with you on the high price of meat. I probably would have done a brisket.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm … it seems that governments have set their sights on reducing CH4 (methane) emissions. What produces the most methane? … dairy and beef cattle. Unless some way can be found to stop cows from farting I guess dairy and meat will soon be on the endangered list. I guess there is always a chance that faux cheese can be made from peas! Tofu is also very versatile but I don’t know how it works on the BBQ. I think we better enjoy cheese and meat while we can still get it.

Of course the obvious next target after Sally the dairy cow is … that’s right … you and me! We have to control that CH4 at all costs. We could start by having a daily cup of Bovaer instead of coffee in the morning. Hmmmmmm … I was worried there for a moment.
Add pink seaweed to your sushi ;D

Hmmmm … it seems that governments have set their sights on reducing CH4 (methane) emissions. What produces the most methane? … dairy and beef cattle. Unless some way can be found to stop cows from farting I guess dairy and meat will soon be on the endangered list. I guess there is always a chance that faux cheese can be made from peas! Tofu is also very versatile but I don’t know how it works on the BBQ. I think we better enjoy cheese and meat while we can still get it.

Well there is that, I suppose. I was also referring to increased feed costs, extreme weather affecting grasslands/pastures, increased transportation costs, increased fragility and demand of the system of processors/slaughterhouses, increased costs of basic needs for meat businesses such as machinery, tools, bags, gloves, etc. Farming has always been a low profit enterprise and with everything going on in the world right now, the costs and practicalities of doing business are a greater strain than ever. If meat is cheap in the Western world, then it's almost certainly due to a big corporation 'subsidizing' the costs through its sheer scale and control/vertical ownership of vital industry systems.

Last edited:
Well there is that, I suppose. I was also referring to increased feed costs, extreme weather affecting grasslands/pastures, increased transportation costs, increased fragility and demand of the system of processors/slaughterhouses, increased costs of basic needs for meat businesses such as machinery, tools, bags, gloves, etc. Farming has always been a low profit enterprise and with everything going on in the world right now, the costs and practicalities of doing business are a greater strain than ever. If meat is cheap in the Western world, then it's almost certainly due to a big corporation 'subsidizing' the costs through its sheer scale and control/vertical ownership of vital industry systems.

Of course you’re right! My post was more to point out that on top of everything else farmers (dairy and cattle) are now going to have to put up with being a target of climate change. We sold the last of the family farm about 12 years ago and, honestly, I’m glad to be rid of it. You get tired of always being the low man on the totem pole!

I think it mostly means great business for the companies who researched low-methane feed for cattle. It's the easy short-term way to make a significant gain there that doesn't require a lot of change. They're gonna be making a lot of money

Has anybody asked the cows whether they even like low methane feed?

What a great business idea … invent something nobody wants or needs then convince governments to make it compulsory … and get rich! Just what we need … another six feet of counter space in grocery stores devoted to premium priced dairy from “low methane cows”.

I think I’m getting a little cynical in my old age.

Has anybody asked the cows whether they even like low methane feed?

What a great business idea … invent something nobody wants or needs then convince governments to make it compulsory … and get rich! Just what we need … another six feet of counter space in grocery stores devoted to premium priced dairy from “low methane cows”.

I think I’m getting a little cynical in my old age.
I'm not sure they really appreciate the compressed soy pulp either though... ;)

So, it was a warm day today. A nice one since it has been cold here in Texas. I smoked a half brisket and a rack of ribs while we started planting our garden. I am ready for warm weather. We ate the ribs for dinner. The brisket came off late so it is for another day. It was still a little cold for evening smoking but it worked. I started the brisket around 11:00 am. I had to have a sample and it tasted good.

IMG_0743.jpg

Latest posts

Back