So how many knives have you bought and not used?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes me some time before getting to know a new knife. As with a lot of things in life, the first impression is wrong, and says more about what you are used to than about what you're actually handling. Getting to know a knife means slightly adapting my grip, the used technique, mostly without being aware of it. And sharpening, getting rid of the factory edge in most cases, forcing a first patina, thinning a bit, adapting the edge to what I'm used to, correct for steering, sharpening again, changing the progression, playing with it. I may not use it for some time, and discover it again. Hard to imagine one leaves a new knife untouched in the box. Even so hard to understand people selling a knife without even having sharpened it, and deciding to let it go, after cutting two onions. No judgment: but one misses the most interesting part of having a new knife where there is some small adapting by both parties.

Still have a honesuki in the box, unused, I need to learn how to break down whole chickens, someday...
Stop procrastinating! It's really not that difficult, even someone with a complete lack of motor skills or culinary education like me could learn it. Just look around on youtube, there's plenty of videos. Japanese technique ones I found most interesting / useful. If you want to ease into it, just start easy with just dissasembling into parts (wings, breasts, thighs, drums), before moving onto the difficult stuff like deboning entirely.

It takes me some time before getting to know a new knife. As with a lot of things in life, the first impression is wrong, and says more about what you are used to than about what you're actually handling. Getting to know a knife means slightly adapting my grip, the used technique, mostly without being aware of it. And sharpening, getting rid of the factory edge in most cases, forcing a first patina, thinning a bit, adapting the edge to what I'm used to, correct for steering, sharpening again, changing the progression, playing with it. I may not use it for some time, and discover it again. Hard to imagine one leaves a new knife untouched in the box. Even so hard to understand people selling a knife without even having sharpened it, and deciding to let it go, after cutting two onions. No judgment: but one misses the most interesting part of having a new knife where there is some small adapting by both parties.
I'm in this same boat. On almost every new knife I end up having accordeon cuts at teh start, simply because the profile is ever so slightly different from what I'm used to, and I just need some time for the muscle memory to adjust. Maybe this changes over time after you've gone through a couple of hundred knives and have more experience to judge a knife, but for me, I need to actually use it for a while to get used to it and actually form a sensible opinion about it.

So unused... normally 0. I buy them to use them, and I have enough discipline to not buy more than I can use. I'm just a home user who cooks for one or two, so that just means I limit the amount of knives I buy. Suits me just fine; I'm not swimming in money anyway.
Technically speaking I have 1 unused one right now; got the Takamura R2 210 in the mail a few days ago and haven't gotten around to putting a microbevel on it yet. But that's not going to last...

That is interesting. I have a Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo bunka and a couple Kagekiyo gyutos, although it is not apples to apples, my observation if the Kagekiyo is a bit more refined with attention to smooth rounded spine, but they are similar in other respects, all great knives.

They’re close; the shinogi height and sweep are slightly different as is the taper, the latter of which I don’t know whether to attribute to the forging smith or sharpener. Kyuzo I believe is or was a pupil of Morihiro who does the Kagekiyo. I have a thread where I compare the two; differences are in fractions of a millimeter and I posit that such a difference in a single dimension isn’t responsible for the difference in feel and cutting but rather that it’s a subtler interplay of the aggregate package. Iirc my conclusion was that one is ever so slightly better than the other for doing one or two quick things and vice versa for using it all day. Also that there’s no reason to have both nor is there a reason to let either one go…

but anyhow even that one I’ve used a bit, it just isn’t getting much use right now. And a Choyo is, I think, another Tanaka/Morihiro so if I buy that it means I’ve definitely gotta let one of the three go… until I do the first part and skip the second.

Probably a dozen or so, and there's no "one sentence" reason for that being so.

First off, there are no knife shops in my area, where I could go and actually hold a knife in my hands before purchasing,,,, every knife has been bought "on-line". Returns were not always an option or even a consideration, given re-stocking fees and shipping costs involved. Over all these years, there's only one knife that I've actually returned because I hated the edge so much.

Second, I tend to buy knives according to their category,,, for example "paring knives". Some are spear-point, some are sheep's foot, some are bird's beak, some are too long, some are too short, and I end up with multiples, and I tend to settle on one knife that I use for most everything that particular category requires. I find most paring knives "too long". The paring knife I use most, was my girlfriends' knife, bought in a yard sale maybe 40 years ago. The tip was shot due to it being used as a screw-driver,,, so I cut the tip off, and re-profiled it as a 3" sheep's-foot, and I may keep using that terribly re-curve-bladed knife with a badly worn handle, until the day they put me in a box.

Petty/utility/sandwich knives is another category where I've bought multiple lengths, and multiple geometries, looking for that one knife that suits me best. Some of those are more along the lines of carver/slicers,,,, some more closely resemble a short "chef's knife",,, some have different handles, etc. Lengths range from 4.25" to 4.5", to 5", to 5.25", to 5.5", 5.75", 6", 6.25". My preferred choice ended up being a 6.25" carver-slicer type petty, because it clearly offered the greatest versatility for my style and everyday use. Ease of maintenance was another factor.

Chef's knives was another category, and since I'm a senior, and these days I'm cooking for "one", I seldom if ever need to use a larger chef's knife, yet I have knives ranging from 7", 8" 10" and 12". I've been buying knives for over 50 years, so it's easy to see why I may have acquired so many over that lengthy time period.

Then there's the cleavers, of which I have roughly three,,, maybe four,,, a few 10" bread knives,,, and several specialty knives,,, most of which I may never use, simply because my own needs today, no longer require it.

Others I haven't mentioned are long slicers (10" plus),,, boning knives,,, fillet knives, "rocking" knives". presentation carving sets, etc. It adds up over time.

Most of my knives are German (Zwilling Pro S, and Pro), Wusthof Ikon and Classic, Victorinox Rosewood series. My Japanese knives are by MAC, Shun, and Miyabi.

I have zero intention of ever becoming a collector, yet I can readily understand why so many folks do. I have a deep respect for the tradition and workmanship behind so many beautiful Japanese knives, but at this stage of my life, I'll simply have to be content viewing them from afar. That said,,, I just may buy "one" more,,,, only one. :)
Do it!

Probably a dozen or so, and there's no "one sentence" reason for that being so.

First off, there are no knife shops in my area, where I could go and actually hold a knife in my hands before purchasing,,,, every knife has been bought "on-line". Returns were not always an option or even a consideration, given re-stocking fees and shipping costs involved....It adds up over time.

Most of my knives are German (Zwilling Pro S, and Pro), Wusthof Ikon and Classic, Victorinox Rosewood series. My Japanese knives are by MAC, Shun, and Miyabi.

...That said,,, I just may buy "one" more,,,, only one. :)
You probably could sell the extras off and upgrade to a Canadian knife eh.

Last edited:
So this question probably excludes the collectors, but how many knives have you bought with the intention to use, and have not yet done so (or never did)?

I was just thinking about this as I bought a Sabatier Nogent in April and I still haven't cut any product with it. And I had bought a Moritaka 240 gyuto off BST and never used it before I sold it.

For me, this only really happens if I find an upgrade over a current knife I haven't gained proficiency with. In this case, the nicer one remains a drawer-queen until I feel it's time to shift over.

One crazy thin honyaki that was actually not supposed (expected) to be ground that way. Since I knew I was not going to use it, then I simply directly sold it. I am still a little sorry about it, as otherwise it was made really well. Other than that, all got used.

Then contact Canadian brewers and Canadian couteliers eh!

Actually, I do have some Canadian micro-brewery beers that I forgot about. Personally, I like Grolsch, and Bittburger, and I always have a few cases of Stella and Kronenbourg laying around. In winter, I like the occasional Guinness.

I just did a quick search and found Grohmann knives,,, made in Pictou, Nova Scotia for over 60 years. I've never heard of them before now, and they produce several lines of kitchen knives.

1 for me. Bought a Sabatier Nogent from Bernal, that i never really got around to using. I cut an onion the first time i brought it home, but never really put it use. (No meals have been prepared with it.)

Still have a honesuki in the box, unused, I need to learn how to break down whole chickens, someday...
Got a hybrid honesuki/bunka-ish thing pretty cheap. Watched several videos on how to break down chicken, then bought a case of chickens from Sam's to practice using the knife. Finished processing the chickens, but hated the knife. Ordered a "real" honesuki which arrived from Japan yesterday. My wife and I have to eat a bunch of chicken out of the freezer before I can buy another case to use it on, but it's already hanging out with the rest of the gang.

Got a hybrid honesuki/bunka-ish thing pretty cheap. Watched several videos on how to break down chicken, then bought a case of chickens from Sam's to practice using the knife. Finished processing the chickens, but hated the knife. Ordered a "real" honesuki which arrived from Japan yesterday. My wife and I have to eat a bunch of chicken out of the freezer before I can buy another case to use it on, but it's already hanging out with the rest of the gang.
This is the one I got,
https://bernalcutlery.com/products/...u-no-bolster-sk-carbon?variant=36251401519256What did you get?

What did you get?
I ordered the second knife from here, then learned of questionable experiences many others have had. I too received an email saying they didn't have stock after all, should be shipping "next week", then several more after my checking status saying it's shipping "tomorrow". The knife was received as described yesterday, about a month after ordering.

I ordered the second knife from here, then learned of questionable experiences many others have had. I too received an email saying they didn't have stock after all, should be shipping "next week", then several more after my checking status saying it's shipping "tomorrow". The knife was received as described yesterday, about a month after ordering.
Looks nice, more of a true single bevel, has the soft steel wrapped around the back, like the yew handle.

Looks nice, more of a true single bevel, has the soft steel wrapped around the back, like the yew handle.
Thanks. I found it available in the US with a magnolia handle, but was willing to take a risk for the yew handle. Glad I did (since it worked out).

Thanks. I found it available in the US with a magnolia handle, but was willing to take a risk for the yew handle. Glad I did (since it worked out).
How do you like your JKI knife? Was it everything you hoped for?

A trick I forgot to mention: I use a new knife exclusively for all, yes, all tasks, for two weeks or so at home. Even cutting old cheese with a Honesuki, peeling with a suj. It helps a lot in getting to know the new knife, its qualities and limitations.

All knives I buy are intended to be used. So 0 unused knives here.

Back