so i just bought a Masamoto KS 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
from JCK. been feeling a bit depressed, so i figured some retail therapy would do me some good. if Jon had a Heiji carbon 240 in stock, i might have had to have gotten that, but c'est la vie. ;) the Masamoto appears quite different from every other kind of wa-gyuto i've tried (and i've tried a bunch), and i'm really looking forward to it.

I hope it brings you some sweet cutting joy! Hope all is week in Cinci.

I bet it's the fault of autocorrect.

Let us know how the KS compares to your other knives. I've been really curious about the KS, but there are a couple other knives tempting me right now...

i'm sure it's autocorrect too, i was just giving him a hard time. ;) i have a Kochi and a Shig (wa-gyuto, anyway) on hand that i can compare it to, and i'd be happy to (once i get my Yoshikane back from rehandling, i'll have that too, for a comparison, but the Shig is close enough).

Congrats man! Nothing cures the blues like an exotic, high-performance present for yourself.

I'm fingering the trigger on a Masa 240 honyaki, as completely superfluous end-of-year gift to myself. P.S., don't tell my girlfriend. :angel2:

Congrats man! Nothing cures the blues like an exotic, high-performance present for yourself.

I'm fingering the trigger on a Masa 240 honyaki, as completely superfluous end-of-year gift to myself. P.S., don't tell my girlfriend. :angel2:

thanks! and don't tell my fiancé about my simple KS, and you have a deal! just buy the thing, you'll end up doing it anyway, so you might as well. i also bought a Tojiro ITK bread knife today, and a 16" cordierite baking stone, but only the Masa really feels special. i got the marble ferrule.

Haha. I think you'll like it a lot if the you like the KS. I've only handled one of each and while both are very nice knives, the honyaki is much more tapered and flatter profiled toward the tip. I remember Salty saying something about them being twins but these were not.

ya i think those will look the best with the marble furrule

congrats on the purchase and dont forget to give us a review w/ pics

:D

i'll see what i can do. if i can get a couple of my lenses back from the woman, i can take some decent pics.

Yes, pics please, and a review!

I did marble with my first KS and black with the second. The handles aren't much to look at, but thankfully you don't see a lot of them as you're destroying produce by the metric ton.

i picked up the knife this morning on the way to work. the F&F is quite nice, though i can't say i'm a big fan of the scratches on both side towards the tip caused by the sloppy "sharpening job."

i picked up the knife this morning on the way to work. the F&F is quite nice, though i can't say i'm a big fan of the scratches on both side towards the tip caused by the sloppy "sharpening job."

Both mine had those too, and I've heard from others that theirs did as well. It's the most unflattering part of those knives I think. Their "finish sharpening" is pretty bad.

Both mine had those too, and I've heard from others that theirs did as well. It's the most unflattering part of those knives I think. Their "finish sharpening" is pretty bad.

i wonder if i could have gotten it unsharpened. the heel is a bit under ground, so i have to work on it anyway.

How thin it the tip?

assuming the micrometer i just found here at work (i've moved offices, and my good stuff is still packed up) is accurate, it's about a 1.5mm two inches from the tip and .75mm one inch from the tip. it tapers very dramatically from an inch out to the point.

i wonder if i could have gotten it unsharpened. the heel is a bit under ground, so i have to work on it anyway.

assuming the micrometer i just found here at work (i've moved offices, and my good stuff is still packed up) is accurate, it's about a 1.5mm two inches from the tip and .75mm one inch from the tip. it tapers very dramatically from an inch out to the point.
I feel the same way about a lot of factory sharpening jobs. As for the tip, sounds like you got a nice, thin one. Thanks for the info.

waving it in the air, it seems like it'll cut pretty well. ;) the edge actually shaves easily, it's just not even. waste of effort on Masamoto's part (and a waste of money on my part, since i surely paid for that waste of effort).

Haha. I've been caught doing the waving and labeled a psycho by a couple people...

i like the Masamoto! i used it to cut up some veggies for dinner tonight, and butchered a capon for tomorrow's coq au vin, and it worked great. it takes a screaming edge, and sharpens up very quickly. cuts great. just like my Konosuke it sure likes showing any scratches on the flats that it picks up, and it's a slog to refinish (i took out the factory sharpening scratches last night by giving it a 320 grit brush, opposing the grind marks) but it has taken a very quick and strong patina, so that's okay. i gave it a light mustard patina yesterday and after the chicken the Masamoto looks like i've been using it for years. unlike my Konosuke, it's not too flexible, so it feels good throughout the whole cutting motion. tres cool.

Thanks for the update! I might have to swing for one after all...

...i'd do it, it's a really nice knife.
The thing holding me back is the inconsistency at the tip. If I got one like yours, I'd likely be happy. Not that it would be a bad knife but if I got a thicker one, I'd likely wish I'd spend the extra cash to get a Carter, DT, Heiji, a honyaki (maybe)...

I have only used my knife but I can vouche for it being... PROBABLY!, very slightly inferior to the Ittosai honyakis I had TK. Thats saying a lot BTW since the masamoto cost about half.

very nice :) I'm jealous of all you masamoto owners and that rustic rye.

i don't think you'll have any buyers remorse. the Masasmoto keeps up with my Kochi, Shig and Yoshikane. it's nimbler than any of those knives, too, so it's enough different that it'll fit right into my rotation. it really is exactly the knife i wanted when i originally got a Konosuke white. it's flexible at the tip, but not through the whole blade, which drove me crazy. i think i'm happy until i have the funds free to buy a Heiji. :) and thanks! the board is my trusty 15x20 Boos.

Back