So I just thinned my knife by accident

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesquik

Reaction score
Was watching mr. takamura sharpening the migaki r2 and followed the direction except for the "raise the blade a little bit after pressing the finger on the front of the blade"

Here the result,

r237oOM.jpg

lMrkA3V.jpg

Personally that not so bad, but I would like to ask you guys if you know a way to make it look more polished and uniform (this was finished on a 6k king stone). Best case scenario I would like it to blend with the top like it was before.

Don't worry guys the blade is now crazy sharp ( I raised the angle a little bit like in the video... :D ).

I'm still really happy I took a plunge to sharpen one of my knife I was afraid of sharpening. I never got a knife this sharp before. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Nice thinning pattern.

I don't know what grit the migaki polish is, but it's probably in the 1000 to 1500 range.

If you have made a 6k polish, I would use gradually reducing sandpaper grits (maybe start at 2000 or 1500, then 1200, 1000, maybe even 800) and stop when you are happy with how it matches the rest of the blade.

Needless to say, be very careful not to cut yourself ). FWIW, I often blunt the very edge (by gently breadknifing on a fine stone) before doing a polishing job.

You can use barkeeper's friend in liquid form. it's like 3 bucks at target or any other type of store.

just rub it on. it will dull the edge a bit if it touches it, cause it's oxalic acid and a mild abrasive. it removes the dark color.

If all you want to do is remove the dark colour, any metal polish (Mothers, Simichrome, Flitz...) will also do the job. But you'll still be left with a 6k polish unless you use a more coarse abrasive.

Last edited:
Bar keeper's friend--make a paste and use a cork. Might take a few times. Even Ajax/Comet will work (and is more abrasive than BKF).
Then flitz or simichrome. That should do it.

I finally received my polishing cream.

Took me a good 2 hours of polishing and my finger hurt.

Its not yet perfect and it will probably need another hour, but for now that will do.

Before

dQHuc7J.jpg

After

C5PEF6V.jpg

If the cream gets dry, add a little cooking oil. Then it will start abrading a bit again. Of course, after a while, the abrasive just gets rounded, and it burnishes more.

Very good video. How would you do a clad knife with an asymmetrical edge?

Back