So i sold off my ******** Addict.. what should be my next moment of weakness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candlejack

Reaction score
I live in Sweden, so something that i can get here without it being to expensive.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Gyoto (but actually.. i'm open for suggestions on other styles in this case, as this is mostly a guilty pleasure kind of buy.)
21 or 24 cm.

A laser. A carbon laser.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Because i'm weak. And i like stuff. And i'm weak.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- I like WA-handles, and european alike. I have a love for burl-woods and cocobolo. I kinda hate magnolia (but it's no problem.. i just think it looks like woodworking class in middle-school.)
Edge Quality/Retention- Already good on the ones i have.
Ease of Use- Same as above.. it doesn't matter. I have time to learn to handle a new style.
Comfort- Comfortable with both WA and european. Not the smallest handles, but not the largest. (Victorinox is too large to pinchgrip effectively with for an example)

What grip do you use?
Pinch.
What kind of cutting motion do you use?
I vary depending on the blade. I kinda use them all.
Where do you store them?

My knife-bag.
Have you ever oiled a handle?

Nopey. But it seems simple enough.
What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

Plastic and wood.
For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Spyderco sharpmaker - tuning it up on the fine or ultra-fines when i feel the need. I have started stropping on cardboard with a 3 micron paste. Going to buy some chrome-oxide and start using that, and some leather. Perhaps a ready made strop like the one on JKI. Perhaps.
Have they ever been sharpened?

Oh yes. I have a tendency to sharpen them alot.
What is your budget?
Mieh.. kinda 200ish up to some morish if it's needed.. not cut in stone. But i'm still in school and don't get that much cash.

What do you cook and how often?

Alot of different things.. professional kitchen.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

Carbon this time around. I want a laser.

Knives currently in inventory:

Akifusa 24cm (SRS-15)
Kagayaki, 15cm petty (VG10)
Kagayaki 16,5cm santoku (Aogami Super)
Fu-rin-ka-zan 16,5 Nakiri (White 1, i love it and the super.. i love white more)
A ****** Sagaform Edge that i use as my beater. But i love it. Easy to sharpen, gets sharpish enough for the tasks and keeps it decently. I don't have to care for it and i can let people borrow it.

Karlsson Nilsson paring knife (Classic swedish knife, this one is in 12c27 i think. Fun fact: For 40 bucks you get a good 12c27 knife here in Sweden. I don't think i've seen any 12c27 for that cheap outside of sweden)
A victorinox peeling knife - orange to define it as mine. Ie. Don't try to tourne with this one-knife.

Buying used is an option, buying cheaper is an option (perhaps two knives.. drowl..)

I'm open for most things. I just want a very good cutter.

Btw, - i've noticed reactions on onions. I forced a patina to see if it helped, it did but i didn't solve it. Any tips on how to avoid the reaction?
I read something about using hot water on the knife when you wash them to stop it. SO i've started doing that.

And no, i don't want stones.. that would just put me in the ground economically. And i like to sharpen at work when i have a little break if i feel it's needed.

You guys are going to take more money from me than Head-fi.. but i love what i've seen of Marko's knives before but i've always expected them to cost atleast twice of my start-budget.. if not more.
Cause he really is awesome.

But perhaps i shouldn't say this. Perhaps i should pretend to be kinda meh'd so he'll have to throw me a great deal.

But i can't do that. Cause they really are beautiful.

Since reactivity is an issue, semi-stainless may be a good fit. Konosuke HD, Kikuichi TK or CarboNext.

Rick

It actually isn't i've got stainless to handle that and it isn't that bad with my Fu-rin-ka-zan i mainly put the question in as a bonus-question instead of making a thread about reactivity!
Next knife to sell off will probably be my Kagayaki santoku as i find that the nakiri replaces it.

You'd be super happy with a KONO HD too. But you might as well enquire with Marko. His knives are a lot of bang for the buck!

You'd be super happy with a KONO HD too. But you might as well enquire with Marko. His knives are a lot of bang for the buck!

I'll have to think about all this.. a custom is very, very tempting, but it is alot of money for a student.. but i could starve myself..

Deal:

Jeg tar med en 225 som du får teste ut, du spander middag på din restaurant?
Så låner du den i et par uker. Kan sikkert ta med noen andre til Stockholm også. Må dit en tur snart ;)

Deal:

Jeg tar med en 225 som du får teste ut, du spander middag på din restaurant?
Så låner du den i et par uker. Kan sikkert ta med noen andre til Stockholm også. Må dit en tur snart ;)

Haha, det är en rätt dyr hyra! Och jag är där ideellt alltså hjälper till när jag har tid för att få mer erfarenhet, kontakter och för att grabbarna är så jävla underbara. Och för att få in foten, så det finns chans för jobb i framtiden, frågan är om jag känner mig redo att jobba där efter studenten!

I feel left out with all this Norwegian.

If you want carbon you could also get a white #2 konosuke instead of the HD. Bluewayjapan (on eBay) also has some interesting thin blue and white steel gyutos.

I feel left out with all this Norwegian.

If you want carbon you could also get a white #2 konosuke instead of the HD. Bluewayjapan (on eBay) also has some interesting thin blue and white steel gyutos.

Haha, i'm speaking Swedish, Oivind is speaking Norweigan. But Vikings understand each other.
www.hocho.dk for Konosuke from DK :)
Konosuke is a great choice!

I will think about this, but i hope i can squeeze in a custom!

The blue way comment jogged my brain! You should try one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380381932142?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2587wt_965
358825876_tp.jpg
That's some badass blue steel. At a good price.

Haha, i'm speaking Swedish, Oivind is speaking Norweigan. But Vikings understand each other...
It isn't all that different from german, either, it seems. Come to think of it, you might also consider asking Rottman to put something together for you.

It isn't all that different from german, either, it seems. Come to think of it, you might also consider asking Rottman to put something together for you.

Nope. It's quite close to german. You can also see the likeness with english too. Same with dutch. And icelandic (of course) and a more languages as well.
Languages is an interesting subject. We should just call all scandi languages for viking.

Back