So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for your information. Friend of mine has one. It is very light. The weight of his is 155 G. But he has been used for a long time. We just want to find out the original weight

Weight varies, JNS had 300mm kasumi yanagiba listed for 190 grams.

One more of a set of photos that i took over the weekend:

4.jpg

6.jpg

Interesting stat from my excel on Shigefusa sales. As I am nearing nearly 600 entries, hereby an overview of most recorded/sold knives over the past 5 years:

Type Size Finish Total Entries
Gyuto 240 Kasumi 56
Gyuto 210 Kasumi 51
Nakiri 165 Kurouchi 27
Yanagiba 300 Kitaeji 24
Santoku 165 Kurouchi 22
Yanagiba 300 Kasumi 22
Gyuto 210 Kitaeji 19
Gyuto 240 Kitaeji 19
Gyuto 270 Kasumi 17
Petty 150 Kurouchi 15

The previous post put this thread back on my radar...

Did you get the sujihikis new or used? The bevels on the 240 and 300mm come up high on the tip. The other interesting thing is the length-to-height at the heel. The 240 is the tallest, the 270 is the shortest and the 300 is inbetween! Strange how the ratio is changing... (I am assuming the photo is not a composite with different aspect ratios?).

The previous post put this thread back on my radar...

Did you get the sujihikis new or used? The bevels on the 240 and 300mm come up high on the tip. The other interesting thing is the length-to-height at the heel. The 240 is the tallest, the 270 is the shortest and the 300 is inbetween! Strange how the ratio is changing... (I am assuming the photo is not a composite with different aspect ratios?).

Hi, to answer your questions, the kitaeji sujis were aquired new. For all knife measurements, please visit the link in my signature and select the knife you are interested in. The photo is a composite, shot the three knives individually from the same distance and lighting, then PS'ed them into one image.

Thanks @Zweber!

Ahhhh.... The composite sounds like a pretty faithful representation. Your zwebsite :D is awesome....

Length | Height, Blade at Heel | Length, Handle to Tip
240mm | 38.9mm | 242mm
270mm | 35.8mm | 269mm
300mm | 40.2mm | 323mm

Definitely. The 240 is oddly tall or the 270 is oddly short. I would have assumed heel height has a linear relationship (or at least monotonic) with length. But who am I to judge :)? Interesting!

Thanks @Zweber!

Ahhhh.... The composite sounds like a pretty faithful representation. Your zwebsite :D is awesome....

Length | Height, Blade at Heel | Length, Handle to Tip
240mm | 38.9mm | 242mm
270mm | 35.8mm | 269mm
300mm | 40.2mm | 323mm

Definitely. The 240 is oddly tall or the 270 is oddly short. I would have assumed heel height has a linear relationship (or at least monotonic) with length. But who am I to judge :)? Interesting!

Zwebsite.. nice one, will remember this one for a long time! Yes, there's indeed a difference, then again, these are handmade knives, right?

Indeed nice pics.

Looking at all the pics you are posting, are you actually using any of the Shigs you have? I do not see any usage marks on any of them...

Indeed nice pics.

Looking at all the pics you are posting, are you actually using any of the Shigs you have? I do not see any usage marks on any of them...

I do (sujis, gyutos, petties, deba, etc) though simply not all. Some of the photos are 'old stock' an taken a while back, others are of the same knife, different angles, backgrounds, like the 270 yanagiba kanji of the previous post.

Zweber12,

You have a kick-ass collection probably the most complete in the world !! Questions,

What do you think of Kato ?

What do you think about Kato vs Shigefusa?

During the last 10 days, i received a few inquiries about prices on yo handled Shigs, so thought I put together the below graph to answer these questions. The info is based on the public sales of 37 yo handled Gyutos (16 kitaeji, 21 kasumi) dating back to 2013. What the graphs shows is "time of sale" vs "average $ per mm." The latter variable is simply the price of the knife divided by the advertised length. It's not an exact science, though provides a usable variable over time.

The other day I got a question about, the most expensive Shigefusa ever sold. Frankly, I do not know exactly, I can only go with information publicly found, or give to me by direct sellers, or buyers. Nonetheless, hereby the Top 12 'most expensive' Shigefusa knives with a minimum selling price of over $2000 USD, ranked:

One of the most requested price is for Shigefusa Gyutos. Below a graph showing the USD per mm development over the last 7 years, n=214 with n=90 for 2018 and 2019 alone.

Last time I posted this graph, the N used was a mere “350” recorded Shigefusa sales, the graph below represents 670+ knife sales. So what are you looking at, simply put, the average $ per mm, box plotted with the high and lows for the different finished (Kurouchi, Kasumi, Kitaeji), (S)ingle bevel and (D)ouble bevel, with handles: (Yo) and the non-listed are automatically Wa.

What are some of the major changes since the last posts? Simply put, the average did creep up a bit, mainly due to several high-end sales (i.e yo kitaeji gyutos). We clearly see that with upper whiskers shooting up or creeping towards the $10/mm+ territory.

Enjoy, if you have any questions, shoot me a message.

Last time I posted this graph, the N used was a mere “350” recorded Shigefusa sales, the graph below represents 670+ knife sales. So what are you looking at, simply put, the average $ per mm, box plotted with the high and lows for the different finished (Kurouchi, Kasumi, Kitaeji), (S)ingle bevel and (D)ouble bevel, with handles: (Yo) and the non-listed are automatically Wa.

What are some of the major changes since the last posts? Simply put, the average did creep up a bit, mainly due to several high-end sales (i.e yo kitaeji gyutos). We clearly see that with upper whiskers shooting up or creeping towards the $10/mm+ territory.

Enjoy, if you have any questions, shoot me a message.

Amazing that you keep such detailed statistics! What do the blue dots and horizontal bars in the boxes represent?

Back