So I started collecting, my first Shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey do you ever see lefty versions of single bevels?

As Eitan said, they do exist, but are very rare. Last two sale I recorded in my files date back to last 2018 and were a set of kasumi yanagibas.

Very happy to add this little baby to my growing Kato Gyuto collection, a standard KU, 240mm, originally bought from Morihei by the previous owner. More Kato Gyutos can be found here

3.jpg

It's been a while since I last posted a Shigefusa pricing update; by now I've passed 1080 recorded Shigefusa sales.

If you are familiar with the previous pricing posts, you will recognise the boxplots. The y axis show the price per mm in USD, (D) denoted double bevel, (S) Single and (Yo) the yo handled knives.

price_mm_jul2020_2.jpg

More interesting it the graph below. Has the market lost appetite? COVID-19 fire sales? The average price per mm for all knives (green lines) still shows an upward trend.

price_mm_jul2020.jpg

Volume wise, i can say that 2020 will top 2019 if the trend continues. And yes, KKF is still the best place to buy a Shigefusa knife, 53% of all my recorded sales come from KKF and about 25% from Yahoo Auctions, the remainder are you trusted resellers. For obvious reasons, I am not able to capture all sales, thus if you like to submit a sale, please send me a message!

It’s been a long, long time since I posted anything related to pricing of Shigefusa knives, as a matter of fact, nearly 2+ years. Time to give a brief update.

Introduction
For those not familiar with this type of data; I collect (as best as I can) ‘mostly publicly’ sold Shigefusa knives. The data comes from a combination of vendor websites, KKF’s BST and auctions, while occasionally I receive sales data from you. Thank you for that, and I encourage you to do so; data submissions are 100% confidential. As of this writing, my file includes sales 1379 entries and 447 entries have been made between Jan 1 2020 and Jan 2021.

The Stats
Since we are talking about entries, the first graph illustrates the breakdown between finish (Kurouchi, Kasumi and Kitaeji) over the years. An interesting question could be, is the decline in ’20 and ’21 due to the pandemic, or was 2019 the height of Shig sales? Any other reasons possible, like decline in production, pandemic hoarding, or simply poor record keeping on my side? Spoiler on the latter, no, my vigilance actually increased. Please chime in with comments below!

KKK_Year_Stacked.JPG

The graph below is more or less a similar representation of the above, only this time in a fancy pie chart with actual numbers. The data only covers ’20 and ’21:
KKK_Year_Pie.JPG

Another fancy pie chart, though answering the question you had, how do those number related to knife type? Throughout the years, a gyuto, yanagiba and santoku (the latter often in Kurouchi) have been the most ‘popular’ knives to be sold & bought.
Type_Pie.JPG

Related question to the first chart, okay a decline in numbers, does it affect the price? (Demand and supply?) Well, yes, though in line with the trend seen in previous years. I chose kitaeji gyutos vs all kitaeji knives as I have a decent sample set available to make a sensible comparison.
Price_MM_GvsAll.JPG

Next one is interesting too. Where can you best start to find a Shigefusa knife? This is by far the most frequently asked question I receive via email, or a derivative like ‘I am looking for a western handled kitaeji unicorn’. (good luck btw…). It’s confirming a trend I have seen for the last couple years, Yahoo Actions JP is on the rise. Initially ‘the worst kept’ KKF’s secret, now probably the best place to check out along with BST. Use services such as Buyee or Noppin to do the bidding and shipping to your location and if you really cannot figure it out, these are the top users whom sold 70+% of the knives I found on Yahoo in descending order of listings (# of listings omitted): pikmin777pikmin, suika_9, mitsuaki_5, romantoromansu, yakanna95, hf_metal_engraving, zqfqzl6998, yoko_1_2_3, hakozaki_risaku, nojqvm8383
Source_AUC_KKF.GIF

Now that this is out of the way, let’s move on to the second most asked question: where can I find a cheap Shigefusa. Well, those do not really exist, now do they? We can reminisce over a glass of cognac and talk about the ‘good old times’ when I picked up that 270mm kitaeji gyuto for $750 USD in 2013 (and yes, an actual entry), or when the market wasn’t destroyed by flippers. Reality boys and girls, but I digress. To continue the storyline of the previous graph, both KKF and any other source (whether this is an auction or any vendor) were pretty much on par. Below you can see the average price per millimeter of all knives by year and sales location. (Price per millimeter my own scientific invention to be able to make comparisons across knife types, length and finish.

Price_KKF_Other.JPG

So that’s it for now, if you have any requests for graphs, or simply want a price spot check on your Shig, let me know.

1.Where to find? I have a source in Japan myself. 2. Sales are finally reflecting steel shortage. 3. Great to see you get Shiggy Wit it!

It's been a while since my last post; never left, just lurking most of the time.

Last weekend I had the chance to meet Chef Knives Enthusiast. He came to visit me for the weekend and took a tour of the "Shigefusa Museum." We taped an episode for this YouTube Channel; unboxing all the knives and telling stories. Meet Wanto, myself and a little bit more about my Shigefusa collection:

Make sure to like and subscribe and leave a comment!

I've posted the images below on my IG as well and wanted to share with the community as well. Back in 2019 I consolidated my Shigefusa collection and set out to collected small series of a handful of knife types. It took 5 years to complete the kitaeji Takohiki range: 240, 270 and 300mm! Eventually I will document the knives in full on my website with more photos and measurements.

takos.jpg

Back