So... this popped up on Instagram

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly, I've never had the pleasure, nor wanted to, watch any of Ryky's videos, don't know much about him other than reading snippets of other's apparent disdain for him.

At the end of day, he's just a knife enthusiast, with an ambitious entrepreneurial spirit. His aim, obviously appears to be creating a brand—what he's doing is not much different from what JKI, K&S, KNS, Hitohira and CKC have done. Makes perfect sense to monetize a dedicated following in an attempt to make a living dealing with something he's passionate about. Why not?

I respect him for having the balls to launch a business—which isn't easy. Launching a small business is scary stuff—many small business owners (including myself) invest everything into it, like $$$, research, and countless hours of hard work without pay—a huge gamble. It's much easier working under someone as an employee for a company.

I really don't have an opinion on Ryky one way or another—but his website is nicely designed and functional, a much better site than some established dealers IMOl; with a well curated selection of knives. Hope he succeeds, I'm all for cooks upping their game on kitchen knives.

Well, I might be wrong but what I started to think after two purchases from his website Ryky may only be the endorser. Proffessor X who is the angel investor behind Ryky (he mentioned him as Prof X couple of his videos) may using his brand name and visibility. I've purchased two separate parcels recently and they're shipped directly from Hong Kong.

Well, I might be wrong but what I started to think after two purchases from his website Ryky may only be the endorser. Proffessor X who is the angel investor behind Ryky (he mentioned him as Prof X couple of his videos) may using his brand name and visibility. I've purchased two separate parcels recently and they're shipped directly from Hong Kong.
That’s a business model I’ve no problem with so long as the product is what I wanted and there’s a good return policy—just cutting out one leg of the journey. Stuff I’ve ordered from Amazon Prime comes from all over the place.
He’s fortunate to have an angel investor—wish I had one!

I was one of a guy subscribed his channel. Watched almost every video past year. Then the content were not enough for me and jumped on this forum. After reading hundreds of threads here first I was angry to him to telling people wrong/missing information. Then I realize as a newbie I probably wouldn't know how I feel to knives and maybe never be a member of KKF if he was not making those videos. I purchased knives (like Yaxell) used them liked them. That period I can call was my level 1 to Jknives. After I read those threads/topics now I probably over with him and go on with better knowledge here.

In summary, I think his contents and video quality is perfect for starters like me. Eventually more people want to know more gonna end up here. Then overall it's a success for everyone.

That’s a business model I’ve no problem with so long as the product is what I wanted and there’s a good return policy—just cutting out one leg of the journey. Stuff I’ve ordered from Amazon Prime comes from all over the place.
He’s fortunate to have an angel investor—wish I had one!

Yes me too. I think it's really clever way to not deal with tons of details.

Yeah, everyone starts somewhere. My first forum and intro to J-knives was ChefTalk, first vendors were cktg and Korin. That was a decade ago, learnt tons since then.

Firstly, I've never had the pleasure, nor wanted to, watch any of Ryky's videos, don't know much about him other than reading snippets of other's apparent disdain for him.

At the end of day, he's just a knife enthusiast, with an ambitious entrepreneurial spirit. His aim, obviously appears to be creating a brand—what he's doing is not much different from what JKI, K&S, KNS, Hitohira and CKC have done. Makes perfect sense to monetize a dedicated following in an attempt to make a living dealing with something he's passionate about. Why not?

I respect him for having the balls to launch a business—which isn't easy. Launching a small business is scary stuff—many small business owners (including myself) invest everything into it, like $$$, research, and countless hours of hard work without pay—a huge gamble. It's much easier working under someone as an employee for a company.

I really don't have an opinion on Ryky one way or another—but his website is nicely designed and functional, a much better site than some established dealers IMOl; with a well curated selection of knives. Hope he succeeds, I'm all for cooks upping their game on kitchen knives.

Most people used to recommend him when all was a learning process and like him until he started to deliver buy this and that because it's the best in the world, having no ideea what he was talking about. And still doesn't about many things. That's why I said principles matter. Imagine a guy that at that time had no idea how to cut, telling you what's the best way to cut and with what knife. Basic stuff. Fake it 'till you make it? Okay, but own it now. Don't buy into that popular crap. Principles? Money? His views are influencing people so much, it became a problem. Most things he says are not exactly so. Try fixing that on a regular basis and you'll eventually get just like us. Because he is considered the best sharpener in the world by a lot of people and I mean a really lot.

Most people used to recommend him when all was a learning process and like him until he started to deliver buy this and that because it's the best in the world, having no ideea what he was talking about. And still doesn't about many things. That's why I said principles matter. Imagine a guy that at that time had no idea how to cut, telling you what's the best way to cut and with what knife. Basic stuff. Fake it 'till you make it? Okay, but own it now. Don't buy into that popular crap. Principles? Money? His views are influencing people so much, it became a problem. Most things he says are not exactly so. Try fixing that on a regular basis and you'll eventually get just like us. Because he is considered the best sharpener in the world by a lot of people and I mean a really lot.
Like I’ve said, don’t know much of the fella, don’t really care of his sharpening skills if I’m simply buying a knife or stone. People buy stuff on bst or at auctions without caring about skill level of owner. Makes no difference to me if he’s misinformed some about proper sharpening methods, luckily I’ve not been misled—on the other hand, if he’s gotten people into hand sharpening, even incorrectly, it’s a good thing. More than one way to swing a cat.

Like I’ve said, don’t know much of the fella, don’t really care of his sharpening skills if I’m simply buying a knife or stone. People buy stuff on bst or at auctions without caring about skill level of owner. Makes no difference to me if he’s misinformed some about proper sharpening methods, luckily I’ve not been misled—on the other hand, if he’s gotten people into hand sharpening, even incorrectly, it’s a good thing. More than one way to swing a cat.
It is one thing to be a vendor and sell knives. You don't have to know how to cut or sharpen or any of it. It is quite different to pretend to be an expert and give suggestions, recommendations, advice
without really knowing what you are talking about. When you say a knife is good and people should buy it, your clientele expects you to be an expert. If you are pretending then that's lying. I think that's what some people are upset about.

what he's doing is not much different from what JKI, K&S, KNS, Hitohira and CKC have done

+1

I am glad somebody said it!! It is worth emphasising.

Some favourite vendors on this forum impart their 'brand' on the knives they sell (conspicuous or subtle). It is common enough practice. The supply chain in places like Sakai is set up for it.

I am ambivalent about Ryky but am happy to wish him success. It is easy to overlook how production values can change the perception of the content. There is a tonne of great content out there that has brilliant information. But most of it looks like "drunk uncle Bob" recorded it with the family camcorder. We're visual creatures and we're now saturated with media. It is unsurprising that a vlogger who has decent presentation and a lot of content has created them self a niche in this market.

Is there really any other kitchen knife person with a back catalogue of videos with good lighting, stable camera, good resolution and good audio? Somebody that appears to interact with their audience? If the answer is yes - then I havent seen them. If the answer is no - then is it little surprise he has a following?

Not exactly my thing but it seems like a decent 21st century strategy to me!

Back