Some days are just worse than others...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...and it seems like today is one of them.

I managed to chip my Tanaka Gyuhiki really badly today just because I wasn’t paying enough attention while cutting a slice off a big piece of bacon, something I have done several times with this knife without any problems. I seem to have tried to alter the direction of the cut twisting the blade a little and the rind of the bacon broke out a huge piece of the core steel. 🤦‍♂️

You see now I got a project knife I never wanted...
EAB29887-8475-4BB6-B950-9317005518E7.jpeg
1A1CFBFE-3526-48D0-B764-6AFFB8A87EA5.jpeg

I’ve got a Carter with a chip like that. Rather than lose all the height and turn good steel to dust I’ve just been using it and letting it work out over time. I smoothed the chip edges lightly with a diamond file to reduce the risk of any propagation, and it’s been fine for a few years.

It’s in a similar place and is only noticeable on longer slicing cuts, tip is still fine and main portion in front of heel is still also fine.

Worth considering, and it’ll serve as a reminder

ouch!
This happened once cutting some Rosemary with a Kato damascus. It feels like a long job but you've sharpened enough blades to get rid of this and get a great cutter again.
Surely not the plan: what about turning it into a kind of sujihiki? That way you don't have to thin too much.

Thanks guys for feeling with me, I could kick my own ass for being so stupid :rolleyes:

I’ve got a Carter with a chip like that. Rather than lose all the height and turn good steel to dust I’ve just been using it and letting it work out over time. I smoothed the chip edges lightly with a diamond file to reduce the risk of any propagation, and it’s been fine for a few years.

It’s in a similar place and is only noticeable on longer slicing cuts, tip is still fine and main portion in front of heel is still also fine.

Worth considering, and it’ll serve as a reminder
That's actually an interesting option, I might try if it affects performance and make a decision.

Surely not the plan: what about turning it into a kind of sujihiki? That way you don't have to thin too much.
As it would loose lots of height during repair it should come out as a Suji anyhow. Too bad as the extra height paired with the really thin grind of the blade is the thing I like so much about this knife.

ouch!
This happened once cutting some Rosemary with a Kato damascus. It feels like a long job but you've sharpened enough blades to get rid of this and get a great cutter again.

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who’s done that with rosemary, I forget what knife it was, maybe a Heiji? And I jobbed a Dengjia cleaner pretty good over thanksgiving. This is how I got good at estimating how long chips and tip snaps and such will take to fix on stones 🙄

Thanks guys for feeling with me, I could kick my own ass for being so stupid :rolleyes:

That's actually an interesting option, I might try if it affects performance and make a decision.

As it would loose lots of height during repair it should come out as a Suji anyhow. Too bad as the extra height paired with the really thin grind of the blade is the thing I like so much about this knife.

Come on man you're not stupid, these things happen. That chip though, I can understand very well why you're bashing on yourself, it's terrible.

Good luck with profile repair!

Sorry to hear that ☹️ I had similar thing with Kato and parmigiano.

Jon was very helpful 😁

Rather than lose all the height and turn good steel to dust I’ve just been using it and letting it work out over time.

I like this idea. it would seem that as long as the knife is true, it is possible that you wouldn't notice it too much.

Better than ending up with a Suji you weren't planning on...

Hell, just bust out one of your Maruoyamas, if you have any left, ;)

Good luck buddy.

Back