Some Experiments on 26C3 Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are always fun reads. This one was especially accessible, and I like the analogous comparison to a popular Japanese steel.
This might be as close as I get to studying White #1 itself. At least in the near future.

Interesting that it is tougher than 1095. Would you expect 1.25SC to be basically very similar to 26C3 with a little less hardenability or will a little more Mn in 1.25SC balance out lack of Cr?

Interesting that it is tougher than 1095. Would you expect 1.25SC to be basically very similar to 26C3 with a little less hardenability or will a little more Mn in 1.25SC balance out lack of Cr?
Manganese is a more effective hardenability element than Cr. You can estimate the level of hardenability using the data in this article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/02/25/how-fast-do-you-have-to-quench-hardenability-of-steel/ My guess is they are pretty similar.

My guess is they are pretty similar.

not In my works, 125 is very sensible about thickness, under 3mm it's easy to quench, after that it's way more difficult to have a full quench without soft spot. Even in fast oil.

not In my works, 125 is very sensible about thickness, under 3mm it's easy to quench, after that it's way more difficult to have a full quench without soft spot. Even in fast oil.
And you have had a different experience with 26C3?

OK I guess I'm confused then why you are saying you know they are different.

I have 125sc and I see what comet do with 26c3 and I know it’s very hard to place a hamon like that on the 125sc.
I used to quench c130 witch is pretty close to the 26c3 .
Anyway I don’t know why I keep trying to post in English here.

I have 125sc and I see what comet do with 26c3 and I know it’s very hard to place a hamon like that on the 125sc.
I used to quench c130 witch is pretty close to the 26c3 .
Anyway I don’t know why I keep trying to post in English here.
OK I understand.

Great article! Your website is a wonderful rabbit hole of information, I knew it was time to climb out when I was reading about a steel only available in Russia (M398).

Great article! Your website is a wonderful rabbit hole of information, I knew it was time to climb out when I was reading about a steel only available in Russia (M398).
That's true I like talking about unavailable steels as much as the available ones. Defunct, not regularly available, patented but never made, etc.

Is that a matter of procurement or priorities? Or maybe door #3?
Mostly obtaining the steel in a useful size. It’s relatively difficult to get in any size in the US, however.

Mostly obtaining the steel in a useful size. It’s relatively difficult to get in any size in the US, however.

About 12 years back, I sometimes drove a flat bed semi truck during my "off season". I moved a LOT of steel, mostly structural beams & channels, mild steel tube, conduit and rebar, wire, etc.

But occasionally, I would go to Baltimore and pick up loads of really interesting Russian steel in rod and round bar form. It was tightly specified, vacuum processed material, headed to manufacturers of large rock drills, gun barrels and other demanding jobs.

The bills of lading included a lab analysis of each bar... Does it tell you anything about me that I READ those?

Wish I taken notes on the sources, now.

About 12 years back, I sometimes drove a flat bed semi truck during my "off season". I moved a LOT of steel, mostly structural beams & channels, mild steel tube, conduit and rebar, wire, etc.

But occasionally, I would go to Baltimore and pick up loads of really interesting Russian steel in rod and round bar form. It was tightly specified, vacuum processed material, headed to manufacturers of large rock drills, gun barrels and other demanding jobs.

The bills of lading included a lab analysis of each bar... Does it tell you anything about me that I READ those?

Wish I taken notes on the sources, now.
The steel probably isn't that exciting. But it is a notch more interesting than structural, mild, and rebar.

Interesting that this steel seems to be identical to old spec UK silver steel (EN BS1407, I think?), the new spec being aka 1.2210, which has the addition of Vanadium.
I prefer the new spec, which I buy from Bohler-Uddeholm, proprietary name K510. The vanadium seems to make it pretty fool proof to HT.

Interesting that this steel seems to be identical to old spec UK silver steel (EN BS1407, I think?), the new spec being aka 1.2210, which has the addition of Vanadium.
I prefer the new spec, which I buy from Bohler-Uddeholm, proprietary name K510. The vanadium seems to make it pretty fool proof to HT.
There are several versions of a similar steel.

There are several versions of a similar steel.

Yes, no do doubt, I just found it amusing that a "hot new steel" (maybe) should turn out to be grandpa's go to home engineering steel.

Yes, no do doubt, I just found it amusing that a "hot new steel" (maybe) should turn out to be grandpa's go to home engineering steel.
My article has a section on the steel that says it's been around since at least 1970, and probably a few decades longer.

My article has a section on the steel that says it's been around since at least 1970, and probably a few decades longer.

Yes, my apologies, I did not mean to detract from the thoroughness of your article, which was excellent as always. Just my frivolous thoughts.

Back