Some hand made sayas I have recently finished.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

marc4pt0

Reaction score
Just saw this thread. these look great!
i just started trying saya making again myself. Grabbed a bunch of poplar before things got out of hand. Still working on trying to get the hang of it

marc4pt0

Reaction score
What's really funny, on a personal level, is of course I pick this hobby back up in a time where it's effing impossible to get a dual respirator dust/ paint mask. Dammit!

ChefShramrock

Reaction score
What's really funny, on a personal level, is of course I pick this hobby back up in a time where it's effing impossible to get a dual respirator dust/ paint mask. Dammit!
I know, right? Luckily, I stocked up on wood and n95 masks before all this happened. I have enough wood to finish my knives and a couple for other people. I have 1 clean mask left.

milkbaby

Well-Known Doofus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good! I'm surprised not more people use wood stain because it can often look very nice especially if using some lighter colored woods like poplar, maple, oak...

Jchau890

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently finished saya for 170mm Kurosaki As KU santoku in stained oak.

Really diggin' your work. if you're ever down for commission work, hit me up!

Also just noticed this, are you Chocu1a on r/chefknives?

Matt Zilliox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up some nice looking red oak from the hardware store before all this corona-mess. Using this down time to do some more work.
This one for a Moritaka as 240. Figuring looks really nice.

When you get wood at the store, are you buying the correct thickness? or buying planks and thinning them on a bandsaw or something?? id like to try this.

ChefShramrock

Reaction score
When you get wood at the store, are you buying the correct thickness? or buying planks and thinning them on a bandsaw or something?? id like to try this.
I buy 2 thickness. ¼" and 1" thick. I carve out and shape the 1", then glue the ¼ to that. Once dried, I shape the ¼, and remove thickness from the 1" using a belt sander. I then thin both walls to desired thickness and contour and finish. I started by using two ¼" boards and carving out both sides, but it is easier if you can carve 1 side.

MoabDave

Reaction score
'
Picked up some nice looking red oak ....
This one for a Moritaka as 240. Figuring looks really nice.

I went and scouted a Moritaka 240, and when I read who endorses this stainless tang, I couldn't finish reading out loud to my partner I was in hysterics. Obviously Japanese school lunch kitchens are locally held in higher esteem than US
Screenshot_20200509-205030.png

ChefShramrock

Reaction score
Great work on the sayas. I really like the tether you added. (Dumb question)What sort of store did you source it from?
The tether? It's waxed twine. Purchased from Amazon. The pin is a cribbage peg I modified. Also purchased from Amazon. The wood came from home depot.

And thanks.