Some hand made sayas I have recently finished.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefShramrock

Reaction score
Decided to try my hand at making some sayas a few months back. I am using a pretty primitive set-up. Hand chisel, coping saw, hand-held sanding blocks. I do have a dremel for drilling pin holes. I have been using yellow poplar due to ease of use & edge protection. It is a really fun & relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

Kajiwara blue 2 240 gyuto
5r3IZk9l.jpg

Kurosaki r2 210 gyuto
tBEryPcl.jpg

Konosuke Swedish 140 petty
ioWbazpl.jpg

Kaeru sld 150 petty & Yuki white 2 240 gyuto
o4wZj28l.jpg

Harukaze ginsan 240gyuto
1ztseLSl.jpg

Masashi sld & Yoshimune white 2 210 gyutos
lyEBKD8l.jpg

kUKE5rkl.jpg

Lnlx4AAl.jpg

Tinker Tank AS 180mm
SofMWHxl.jpg

iVL1kxWl.jpg

Last edited:
The yuki gyuyo saya looks very good , did you torch it first of after fished ?thx

After. The seams separated when torching. I had to re-glue and clamp. Then sanded and buffed. And thanks.
Thanks buddy !

I had never make the saya , but did torch couple , them was all kind of change the sharp little bit , guess that was too hot for them lol !

Just finished a couple more. I recently purchased an inexpensive belt sander. It really made the shaping go so fast. I was able to get the petty saya really thin.
Tanaka ginsan 240 gyuto
qjqKDkUl.jpg

AikZOIpl.jpg

Kaeru sld 90mm petty.
JApyLSdl.jpg

qch957Dl.jpg

TdzFvVVl.jpg

Nice stuff! I'm going to be making my first saya next week.
What kind if set-up will you be using? Have you decided on the method? I started using the 2 piece method, carving out both sides to get a fit. My Tinker saya was made using a 3 piece construction. After I bought the belt sander, I was able to carve out 1 side only, using a 2 piece method, then thinning the sides using the sander.

I'm still trying to decide on my method. Part of it depends on what wood I can find. Right now I'm leaning towards the 2 piece.

Just finished this saya for a 270mm suji. My former sous chef just got promoted to chef, so I am giving him these as a gift. Wood is stained poplar. Pin is made from a cribbage peg. Suji is a 270mm vg10 ForgeToTable.
FEtS4wgl.jpg

eJmEh6Ql.jpg

bBuxl1ul.jpg

BTl4bK2l.jpg

The attached pin is a really nice touch. Should be industry standard.
What are you finishing the outside with?
Also, way to get going without power tools. I bet the transition to belt felt great.

The attached pin is a really nice touch. Should be industry standard.
What are you finishing the outside with?
Also, way to get going without power tools. I bet the transition to belt felt great.
I am finishing with polyurethane. The belt sander was a godsend. Such a transition.

It's fun what figured woods you can randomly find at the home improvement or hardware stores. I got some nice oak and curly poplar sitting around there that I'll eventually use.

Back