Some hand made sayas I have recently finished.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another finished saya in red oak. This one is for my Moritaka AS 210 k-tip gyuto. Saya is finished with 1 coat of walnut Danish oil to really bring out the grain & 2 coats clear Danish oil. Pin is a cribbage peg I colored with a red sharpie.

TJ6lDDjl.jpg

cLVnATNl.jpg

ygRlkPgl.jpg

xc5zYTtl.jpg

SISekxHl.jpg

a little .gif of the saya
https://imgur.com/yF9MOLm

Just saw this thread. these look great!
i just started trying saya making again myself. Grabbed a bunch of poplar before things got out of hand. Still working on trying to get the hang of it

What's really funny, on a personal level, is of course I pick this hobby back up in a time where it's effing impossible to get a dual respirator dust/ paint mask. Dammit!

What's really funny, on a personal level, is of course I pick this hobby back up in a time where it's effing impossible to get a dual respirator dust/ paint mask. Dammit!
I know, right? Luckily, I stocked up on wood and n95 masks before all this happened. I have enough wood to finish my knives and a couple for other people. I have 1 clean mask left.

Looking good! I'm surprised not more people use wood stain because it can often look very nice especially if using some lighter colored woods like poplar, maple, oak...

Picked up some nice looking red oak from the hardware store before all this corona-mess. Using this down time to do some more work.
This one for a Moritaka as 240. Figuring looks really nice.
r2E1Dz1l.jpg

ORGLw4rl.jpg

K601oN9l.jpg

IeuhDall.jpg

When you get wood at the store, are you buying the correct thickness? or buying planks and thinning them on a bandsaw or something?? id like to try this.

When you get wood at the store, are you buying the correct thickness? or buying planks and thinning them on a bandsaw or something?? id like to try this.
I buy 2 thickness. ¼" and 1" thick. I carve out and shape the 1", then glue the ¼ to that. Once dried, I shape the ¼, and remove thickness from the 1" using a belt sander. I then thin both walls to desired thickness and contour and finish. I started by using two ¼" boards and carving out both sides, but it is easier if you can carve 1 side.

'
Picked up some nice looking red oak ....
This one for a Moritaka as 240. Figuring looks really nice.

I went and scouted a Moritaka 240, and when I read who endorses this stainless tang, I couldn't finish reading out loud to my partner I was in hysterics. Obviously Japanese school lunch kitchens are locally held in higher esteem than US
Screenshot_20200509-205030.png

Great work on the sayas. I really like the tether you added. (Dumb question)What sort of store did you source it from?
The tether? It's waxed twine. Purchased from Amazon. The pin is a cribbage peg I modified. Also purchased from Amazon. The wood came from home depot.

And thanks.

Back