Some help with a PIF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
One of our members that has been on hiatus has recently contacted me - seems life has given him a big kick in the nuts. He was active here, I've bought from him, sold to him, yada, yada. Good guy.

He's now knifeless (except for a Kiwi) and looking to start over in a lot of things, and asked about buying some inexpensive blades to get back into knives. He asked specifically about a cheap cleaver - now I'm going to send a couple pointy knives and some very basic sharpening stuff but I'm not a cleaver guy.

If anyone has a CCK, DR or other laying about that they would be willing to part with I would appreciate a gift to the package. Anything else knife would also be appreciated.

He'll remain anonymous unless he chooses not to. Pls pm me if you can help or for more details.

Dave

Is this cleaver what you are thinking? It has been sitting on my desk for the last 4 months so I don't mind sending to someone in need.
If it is, you can PM me with appropriate info.

20210331_212828.jpg

Last edited:
I have a stainless slicer laying about with no use. It is inherited and I think at least 30+ years old but with good profile. dull as a commercial though.

Let me know if at all interesting

I have cheap stones from Amazon I can kick in.

What kind of knives does he want/need, what are his preferences?

The concept of small is a bit of an anathema to me but that's my goal. A pointy knife, a small pointy knife, the cleaver and some basic sharpening gear. It's got to be securable, transportable and for home use. Other small kitchen "stuff" I'm sure will be appreciated - I'm sending an extra pepper mill for example.

Thanks for asking.

Dave, I'll PM you, but in case the answers to my questions are helpful to the group, can you please clarify what you mean by small and transportable (i.e., do all the items need to be compact and easy to move around, even after they are shipped to him?), and can you clarify what types of other kitchen items might be helpful?

I'd love to give him a brand new but basic J-knife if he wanted it (e.g., a Kaeru 210 gyuto or a Mazaki nakiri* - sorry my selection is kind of random!) and some kitchen items (new and/or lightly used), but need a better sense of what would be helpful and how small the items must be. Does he need pots/pans, spatulas, or anything like that? I also have a brand new Dexter boning/filet type knife that I've been keeping as a spare and am happy to give to him.

Also, what is the timeline and where would the items need to be shipped to (even if just a general part of the country - might be tougher for me to ship a large heavy box if far from me)?

Thanks!

EDIT: If the knives have to be *really* small, I could potentially give him a Mazaki santoku or petty instead (though if he's indifferent, I was hoping to hang on to the petty!).

Dave, I'll PM you, but in case the answers to my questions are helpful to the group, can you please clarify what you mean by small and transportable......

Sry for the late reply, just finished 8 - 11 the hard way. (Damn I'm getting old) By small I mean he does not need or probably want a large amount of kit now. Just enough to get started over with. His only ask was if I knew where he could get a cleaver on the cheap. Thanks to the generosity of the members here there are two (I think) cleavers on the way, a nice petty, a suji, a longer pointy knife, some starter stones, a Black Mac rod, others. I plan on boxing it and sending it on - prob by the end of next week.

Thanks for the question.

Sounds like you have the cleaver's covered, but just in case I have these sitting around.

IMG_20210410_213558.jpgIMG_20210410_213527.jpgIMG_20210410_213404.jpgIMG_20210410_213233.jpgIMG_20210410_212951.jpg

Can't seem to go to the local Chinese markets without picking up some cleaver I'll never use. Also have a heavier Shibazi cleaver I can dig out of the garage.

Also would a whetstone holder be of use?

Latest posts

Back