• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Some Norton Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
This might be slightly niche, but seeing as this kind of thing doesn't get much love here maybe someone is sitting on one of the below and not using it. Might as well ask eh!

I'm looking for some specific things to add to the collection. In the picture below you can see that the bottom three stones (Lily White, Black Ark, Trans Ark) are in cardboard boxes with little triangles with 'N's on them. I'm after the following, in the same style boxes, any size between 4x2 - 8x2:

- Soft Arkansas.

- Queer Creek.

- No.1 Washita. (The boxes for these were slightly different, but the label was a similar design).

- India/Washita Combi. (I don't necessarily need a box or label for this one).

- Fastcut. (I'm not sure I've ever even seen a picture of one of these outside a Norton catalogue. They were a relatively inexpensive Hindustan stone I believe. Little pic below though to show they did exist!)

IMG-3376.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-30 032541.jpg

I’ll only bump this once (promise!) just to add: I have a couple of potential swap options too, and would trade below their value; a very good Shoubudani Tomae, and a lovely 8x2 naturally bonded vintage Coticule.

Ok one more bump.

Surely there must be someone out there who’ll help me fulfil my childhood dream of owning hundreds of oilstones in cardboard boxes with little ‘N’s on them...?

I'll send this to my dad. He worked for Norton for decades.

Oh amazing, that'd be great, thank you! Give a shout if anything comes up...
Heard back from dad. All he had to say was that "they or their successors still exist" and this link. Back in the day, Norton had an employee store in Worcester with many of their worldwide products, and I know that he had (has?) a few of these in his workshop.

Heard back from dad. All he had to say was that "they or their successors still exist" and this link. Back in the day, Norton had an employee store in Worcester with many of their worldwide products, and I know that he had (has?) a few of these in his workshop.

Ah cheers for asking! I do have a couple of more modern Norton stones (and very good they are too). I'll continue my search for some older ones with the matching boxes...

Back