Some of my humble attempts at handles.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshmallo

Reaction score
Here is a western handle I did for a friend. I took a Richmond and cut the tang to make a half hidden tang so I could make the belly larger, it was quite shallow to start with. Used desert ironwood. I had never made this kind of handle before it was fun. I sanded down the end of my wood too much after I had drilled the holes so it didn't marry up perfectly and I didn't orient the star but I still think it turned out well. And I'm learning.
20211208_145615.jpg

20211208_145535_01.jpg

20211206_120633.jpg

That turned out great! What did you use to seal/finish the ironwood ?
So it's so dense I sand it to 2k grit and it gets a very good finish. Then I wax with Renaissance wax. And I tell folks to re-wax every few months or so if they want.

I've seen one darken over a 2 year period. It was a camp knife I made and waxed. I used truoil on one a few years ago and it hasn't darkened. So idk... I guess I'll find out at some point. I don't have any personally.. so I don't get to watch what happens very often.

Here is a western handle I did for a friend. I took a Richmond and cut the tang to make a half hidden tang so I could make the belly larger, it was quite shallow to start with. Used desert ironwood. I had never made this kind of handle before it was fun. I sanded down the end of my wood too much after I had drilled the holes so it didn't marry up perfectly and I didn't orient the star but I still think it turned out well. And I'm learning.
View attachment 157833
View attachment 157834
View attachment 157835
View attachment 157836

Have you ever thought about re-orientating your belt grinder? I lay mine on its back and it gives me multiple angles of attack, rather then being stuck using just the one inch wide portion of the belt. I removed my deck and the plastic shield from the top pulley and it gives you a lot more freedom that way. The top pulley is great for making razor scales, and you can also see your work better.

I'm not sure I can do that with mine. I'll get an adjustable one eventually.

And sorry I have no idea how to delete something.

I'm not sure I can do that with mine. I'll get an adjustable one eventually.

And sorry I have no idea how to delete something.
I'm sorry, I mean I wanted the mods to delete my post, as I accidentally made a double post. I love your handle work, it's very beautiful!

Has the Renaissance wax finish darkened with time? I have 4 Ironwood handles from 4 different makers and all have gotten quite dark over time (1 year +)
No. Wax itself doesn't darken. But it's not a durable finish. I doubt it would survive more than a few weeks of day to day usage. And once there's no more wax wood starts to darken (dirt, sun, moisture, even air itself)

Some woods are notorious for darkening. Cocobolo or Ironwood to name a few. On the other hand birch or maple would keep their color for years

Those are pretty nice handles! I like the western one more. Great pic with the green onions!! I need to get some of those growing in my back yard.

Back