Some of my test pieces finished up.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
These two now handled up for their new owner.
These were test pieces I made to test in the kitchen. A damascus 01 cored san mai slicer and a honesuki/petty in a medium carbon and blue paper steel core. I also added a bit of shiny steel to jazz it up. I had forgotten I forged teeth into the san mai to make it more dramatic. I have been using them for quite a while unfinished in the kitchen.

IMGP2288.jpg

IMGP2304.jpg

IMGP2305.jpg

IMGP2311.jpg

IMGP2310.jpg

IMGP2317.jpg

And my stainless damascus/blue paper core, test piece, which is off to David, sorry its taken a while.:O

IMGP2298.jpg

IMGP2301.jpg

IMGP2332.jpg

IMGP2329.jpg

IMGP2328.jpg

Hello K, Thanks, the petty and the Suji are off to a certain fellow in Japan and the Stainless one is off to Singapore. They have been nabbed:D

Nicely done! Love the honesuki/petty. :doublethumbsup:

Thanks P :laugh:

Yeah, the honesuki was really a petty. But having got to know blue paper steel, it is quite happy being used to bone out joints. But its thin like a petty. So I suppose a multitask knife. I look forward to hearing how the new owner finds it in the kitchen.

Very nice! Looks like you tweaked the suji handle size a bit since the pass-around knife. :cool2:

Your steel and handles are very, very nice!

Thanks David, yep I couldn't quite believe how long that handle is myself when I got it back. The critical thing was learning that the balance can be nice, a bit further forward in a slicer. Though if central balance is required I use heavier dowl material like brass. Pass around was an invaluable experience. :)

Now that must be a first, the British selling knives to the Japanese! You must be doing something very right for Japan to ignore it's own makers.

That plain clad petty turned out really nice. The teeth effect to the san mai adds some drama to to the looks. I bet it will look stunning when it patinas up.

Man. Your aesthetic skills, with a stainless damascus, blue steel core....get ready to make a lot of these.

Thanks for your support Guys. I don't know about selling to the Japanese, I'm not sure that is going to happen generally:D it just happens that one of our members lives in Japan.:wink:

Will these be offered to the SAS? You being in Hereford and all. :knife:

I'm expecting an order of damascus mess sporks any day now:laugh:

Handsome pieces, Will! I'm looking forward to the test results. :)

Thanks Guys. These I made at the time for steel testing. I had made some pettys with the same steel which I destruction tested, forced chipping, tip damage etc. They are not quite as planned as my current profiles. The Suji is not as high at the heel. The honesuki shaped petty a bit of an experiment too. Those two were to see how the edges on the two steels held up in the kitchen day to day. The blue paper won but only by a hair. The 01 performed very well too, but doesn't like to be as hard as the blue therefore the blue holds a keener edge for a tad longer. Both remarkably tough and damage resistant. They are both ground thin and convex so cut well for me. I too look forward to seeing how they perform for the new owner on a variety of tasks. :biggrin:

Thanks Marko, I'm enjoying it.:biggrin:

Back