• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Some Stones For Sales

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, no time no see.

Recently, my desktop broke down due to aging, and I think it's time for me to buy a new setup. For this reason, I will let go of some of my stones so that I can gather enough funds for this big acquisition.

I have made some testing videos on each stone and some photos showing the finishes.
And so, if there is anything you may want to know more about, please send me a dm and I will answer them for you. Thank you as always.

This time, the original condition of the kiridashi demonstrates a rough finish on the New Kent #1000 stone.

Original Condition (1).JPG

(In terms of testing methodology, please kindly refers to this post.)
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...deo-and-words-heavy-part-1.49744/#post-752479
---

Jokyoji (175x90x50) 1735g

$220
---SOLD---

Jokyoji - Google Drive

2023-02-08 11-02-48.jpg

Jokyoji is a rare and exotic stone, due to its lack of presence in the market (as well as in the wholesaler’s wardrobe…), it becomes a highly sought-after stone. And apparently, the intrinsic value is way higher than its market value, so it is another collector-grade stone).

Jokyoji has a long history just like iyoto. It started mining dated back to the Sengoku period. And according to some historical documents, jokyoji can be roughly classified into four types: Urumi/black (潤砥), red (赤砥), light-red (薄赤砥), and white (白砥). Among them, Urumi is the highest grade and it is almost impossible to see them in the market. Even if you can see them, the price will be outrageously high.

Initially, jokyoji was part of the “must-have” stone for the togishi, mainly used after the iyoto. But after the stones were extinct from the market, togishi begin using kaisei as a replacement.

I got this jokyoji from Watanabe a few years ago, and since I got the chance to acquire one (and the only one) from the wholesaler, and so I will let go of this one.

This type of jokyoji features for its high sharpening power and surprisingly refined finishes. But it is also one of the hardest middle-grid stones to use. Just like the nakayama, you may need to pay extreme attention to water and slurry management, as well as your hand pressure and stroke interval to achieve a decent result in a short amount of time. That being said, if you add too much water, or accidentally put too much pressure on your hand, then the stone will give you a visible scratch in return (just like what I did in the demonstration video…). For this reason, unless you are super confident in sharpening, or else please raise a slurry before using the stone, as it will provide a buffer zone for you to make mistakes.

But in terms of tactile feeling, in the case WITH slurry, the feeling is moderately sandy, and the slurry will not develop into thick mud. But in the case WITHOUT slurry, the gripping power will drastically reduce, and you need to adjust the length of your stroke to prevent your blade from getting a slip on the stone.

Other than that, the finishes this stone can give you are very decent. The overall scratch pattern is short and shallow, most of them are only turn visible under strong light. The soft iron is polished into light matte grey, while the steel is whitish matte. The edge it gives you is very close to aoto, and you only need to sharpen a few strokes on the finishing stone and you are good to go.

---

Aizu (225x85x70) 3070g

$700 USD
---SOLD---

Aizu - Google Drive

2023-02-08 11-09-20.jpg

A very large Aizu that I bought from the wholesaler a while back ago. And so, the quality of the stone is guaranteed.

In terms of appearance, the color is light ocean blue, with white dots shattered all around the stone and grey/black small dots in certain areas. All sides are flattened and useable. And since there is no visible crack nor streak presented on the stones, I have left all sides unsealed so that you maximize the useability of the stone and retain its aesthetic value.

In terms of performance, this stone is very solid and promising. The hardness is around 3.5. The tactile feeling is right to the point, it feels smooth and soft, and it can generate slurry in a few seconds with a decent amount to work with. The creamy feeling becomes get intensifies if you raised the slurry using atoma. The slurry is creamy and rich but not overly thick, and it smells like toothpaste. In terms of finishes, I would say the scratch pattern is pretty much the same no matter whether you are sharpening it with or without a slurry.

Overall, the stone can erase most of the scratch from the soft iron (jigane) under a minute of sharpening, leaving it with a matte light grey finish. For the hard steel (hagane), the stone leaves a consistent semi-mirror polished effect, with the middle-grid scratch pattern on it. And the color of the steel turns into bright silver color. Also, both soft iron and steel share an equal reflective rate.

The edge that aizu can give you is a slightly refined middle grit edge. There are still some tooth on it if you sharpen it without slurry, but you can also smoothen these tooth into a straight edge if you sharpen it with slurry. The flexibility for you to adjust different edge condition is what I found fascinating about this stone.​

---

Since there is a word limit for each post, I will continue the post in the comment section, thank you!!

I will properly make another post showcasing more high-end finishing stones that I purchased directly fromt the wholesaler in the coming week, and so please stay tone for that.

Once again, thank you very much for you time. I know it is an extremely lengthy sale post and please accept my apology.

I will make another sale post on miscellaneous stuffs (i.e cashew, knifes, kiridashi, chopstick) as well, if you are interested, please take a look as well.

As well, thank you and I will see you soon.

Best,
Mitchell.

Last edited:
Continue:
---

Kaisei (225x42x 47/57) 1335g

$200 USD ---SOLD---

Kaisei - Google Drive

2023-02-08 11-06-46.jpg

Kaisei is a not-so-well-known stone. Even though it is considered relatively common in the market, it becomes tricky if you want to get one with high quality. Usually, kaisei are came in beige, with dark brown/black dots scattered around. And they are featured for their unique “muddy” tactile feeling. It does not mean the stone will generate a lot of slurries, but instead the slurry will thicken and dry very quickly, and it requires close attention to water management to maintain the gripping power from getting out of control.

Meanwhile, this kaisei is the rare one among them. Typically, other than the beige color, kaisei also have roughly two-color variations: light green and ocean blue. And this kaisei is the ocean blue type.
Since it is a narrow stone, so it would be suitable for honing but becomes tricky with knife sharpening. For this reason, I would call it a “collector stone”. As you can get better options in this price range, but the question is, you may not able to a stone like this in the future… (this case is also applicable in the Jokyoji, where even if you ask the wholesaler would not able to give you one)

In terms of tactile feeling, this kaisei also has that signature “grippy” feeling but is less intense compared with the beige one. Again, this grippy feeling does not mean “sandy”, but a smooth and mud-like texture, allowing you to easily go through the entire stone surface without getting any unpleasant bumpy feeling. Anyway, water and slurry management is needed but not tricky, just use your common sense and you are good to go.

In terms of performance and finishes, the result is pretty much the same whether you are sharpening it with or without a slurry. As the stone is sufficient to generate and sustain self-slurry, you don’t need atoma in this case, unless you want to accelerate the process of slurry thickening. With this stone, the soft iron is polished into snow-white matte color and the steel into semi-mirror finishes. And like the iyoto, the scratch pattern by kaisei is visible through the entire blade, and they are shallow so that you easily erase them later on. And in terms of edge condition, it is in-between iyoto and aizu, which I would say is a slightly coarse middle grit edge.

---

Red Aoto (223x68x60) 1905g

$250 ---SOLD---

Red Aoto - Google Drive

2023-02-08 10-57-19.jpg

This is a red aoto in very good shape, that’s why I would consider it a rare stone. Usually soft stone, especially aoto, comes with lots of cracks and streaks, making it a very unpleasant stone to use. But this stone, fortunately, does not have any of them. It has a very clean sharpening surface, and all sides were sealed with five coats of clear cashew.

Similar to the monzen and saeki, aoto has three color variations, including blue, yellow, and red, with red being the coarsest and softest type among them. But at the same time, red is also the rarest type of aoto that can be seen in the market (similar to the green monzen). The aoto has a deep red color with light brown dots scattered around. It is a very thirsty stone that can absorb water in a mere second. And theoretically, for a stone like this, it is common to soak it in water for better performance, but I never do this with this stone just to play safe. But since it is fully sealed, you can soak it if you want.

This aoto has an opposite character from the iyoto. It is a very soft stone with great sharpening power, and it dishes very quickly, so you need to constantly lap it with atoma. Also, you may need to keep your hand pressure light so that the blade won’t stuck in the overwhelming mud. Therefore, water becomes extremely important to keep stone from getting jammed by its self-generated mud. The level of slurry this aoto can generate is so huge to the point where it can still manage to generate slurry even if you are sharpening it under running water.

In terms of performance, it is a very fast and coarse middle-grit stone, allowing you to achieve consistent #1000 finishes on both iron and steel in under a minute. The cosmetic finish is also very outstanding, with a high contrast color between the dark iron cladding and bright steel.

Compare with the iyoto, the blunt character of this aoto is relatively straightforward. In other words, you don’t need to pay much attention to water/slurry management to get a promising result out of it.

---

Tajima (83x185x32) 1260g

$190 ---SOLD---

Tajima - Google Drive

2023-02-08 11-05-07.jpg

This is an old Tajima stone with saw marks visible on all sides. And since it is a hard stone, I decided not to seal it just to preserve the raw and natural texture of the stone. In terms of tactile feeling, it is similar to the iyoto, but the refined version of it, where the gripping power is moderate, and it wouldn’t give you a slippery feeling even though it is a hard stone. And since the slurry it produces is already pretty refined and smooth, and so it will not erase much of the scratches from the coarse stone. And so, I would say the main function of this stone is to refine the cosmetic finishes and elevates the overall edge condition of the blade.

It doesn’t really matter whether you sharpen it with or without slurry, but since the stone doesn’t really generate a lot of self-slurry, and so I would raise a slurry with atoma first and use the stone surface as a “platform” to break down the stone particles into smaller pieces for better cosmetic effect. And yes, since the stone is hard and it generates very little self-slurry, it is possible to achieve a very refine cosmetic finish with this stone. And I believe this is featuring characteristic of this stone. In the end, you will get white and foggy matte finishes for the iron cladding and a thin layer of whitish color on the hard steel.

---

Tomo Nagura Set 1360g (Total)

$150 ---SOLD---

2023-02-08 11-32-01.jpg

What's include:

*Ohira Renge Suita Koppa 365g
*Nakayama Iromono Finger Stones 45g
Ueno 215g
Iyoto 110g
Aizu 140g
Mikawa nagura (Atsu) 140g
Aoto 335g

---THE END---

Last edited:
Just curious - in the Aizu, 85 is the width or the height of the stone? I have originally understood, from the order of the number that 85 should be the width and 70 the height, but in the video it seems to me that the stone is taller than wide...Could you, please, specify it?

Just curious - in the Aizu, 85 is the width or the height of the stone? I have originally understood, from the order of the number that 85 should be the width and 70 the height, but in the video it seems to me that the stone is taller than wide...Could you, please, specify it?
Yeah, since all four sides of the aizu are flattened and usable, and so I would say it doesn't really matter which side is which.

But for clarification purposes, I would say 85 is the Width.

And in the video, I have sharpening it using the narrow side (70) though.

Hope it helps.

Yeah, since all four sides of the aizu are flattened and usable, and so I would say it doesn't really matter which side is which.

But for clarification purposes, I would say 85 is the Width.

And in the video, I have sharpening it using the narrow side (70) though.

Hope it helps.
Oh, sorry, you mentioned that and I didn't realize it before I asked...Its not common to see stones in which all sides are usable and it doesn't really matter which one is used...Anyway, thanks for a clarification!

Latest posts

Back