Soup is on.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one can be a sauce if you don't add stock-

Slowly saute' sweet onions in butter and a little light olive oil with frequent sirring until they have turned an even gold, then add garlic & thyme. As soon as garlic is a bit transparent, add thickly sliced portobello mushrooms or whatever fungus you like along with some lemon juice, saute a bit longer. Add some dry white wine and possibly Worcestershire and/or balsamic vinegar, salt, black pepper and a tiny pinch of sugar, then stir in a bit of medium roux when the mushrooms have released liquid.

Taste. If you overdid either the lemon & vinegar or the sugar, adjust by adding more of one or the other to offset the excessive sweetness or sourness.

If you're making it as a side to a nice steak, stop there. For soup, add your stock of choice, perhaps some additional herbs and more roux as liked.

20191208_194415.jpg

Last edited:
Rainy day here. It sounds like a good opportunity for a pot of bean and bacon soup.

Do you mind sharing a recipe?

I don't use a recipe for this but can tell you basically how I do it.

1 pound of navy beans (dry) soaked overnight in plenty of cold water.

The next day, dice onion, carrots, celery in proportions you like for the quantity of beans.
Drain beans and set aside.
In a large pot, fry about 1/2 pound of bacon until 1/2 done. You want it limp but with a good bit of fat rendered.
Remove the bacon to cool slightly, then dice to the size you prefer.
Remove the rendered bacon fat from the pot and save for later use.
Dice the bacon into the size you like, then return to the pot and fry until almost crisp.
Crush a couple of garlic cloves and to the bacon for 1-2 minutes.
Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook until onions are translucent.
Add the beans and water to cover. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
Add salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 hours watching to add water as needed.
As you approach the end of the cooking time, adjust water or cooking to give the consistency you like.
Before serving I mix a stick of butter into the pot and adjust S&P.

As always, add and adjust to make it your own.

I have made a vegan version of this using oilve oil, vegan bacon bits, and vegan butter that is pretty good.

Bon appetit -- I don't speak french but the TV chefs say that a lot.

Back