Soup is on.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
My mother as a young girl was farmed out to her aunt who ran a German delicatessen in Brooklyn, NY during the 1930's at the tail end of the great depression & prohibition eras in USA. Mom taught me to cook some 30 years later (1960s - 1970s), one of her lessons was "no bone goes unboiled".

Thus, there are usually at least several dozen quarts of frozen stocks residing in my freezer at any time. Beef, chicken, pork, duck, turkey, seafood, vege, any of the above proteins PLUS veges, a full spectrum of whatever was available as scraps, bones, carcasses and leftovers while I made dinner over the preceding year or two.

It just snowed about a foot here over the last 36 hours. I went hand to hand with that white stuff. It is time for HOT SOUP.

20191201_214314.jpg

20191201_221910.jpg

20191201_225227.jpg

Ended up being celerey, carrot, onion, garlic, portobello mushroom, sage, thyme and leftover thanksgiving turkey plus 7 quarts of turkey & vege stocks accumulated from last several turkeys I cooked, along with a couple of pounds of potato gnocchi.

I may survive until Spring.

Last edited:
When I ended up cooking at a restaurant mornings and going to school afternoons during the 1980s, my supervisor was a PTSD afflicted Vietnam veteran with a severe case of chemical dependancy.

He had ended up in the army and been sent to military cooking school after basic training at age 18, then went off to the war as a cook in a nice, safe rear echelon position. Until the Tet offensive happened. All he ever said about his war was "I had to shoot a whole bunch of people who looked like 15 year old kids". I do not think I ever saw this man completely straight/sober.

But this guy could make soup out of ANYTHING. His key lesson to me, don't be afraid to fry the ***k out of your veges, then fry the spices in the veges for a bit too, before adding your stock. I hope he is still above the sod (and maybe a little calmer, wherever he may be) He taught me right.

Last edited:
I like everything about this thread! Soups rock! Stock in freezer rocks! I also have it all the time, although only beef and chicken stock.
And of course a lot of frozen soups ;)

Last edited:
Soup in the Chinese culture represents more than just food, its practical regarded as medicine; with different soups for diffrent health reasons.

Soup in the Chinese culture represents more than just food, its practical regarded as medicine; with different soups for diffrent health reasons.

My favorite oriental restauranteur makes a face when I talk about simmering carcasses overnight for stock. Her tradition is to make QUICK stock, she cooks it only an hour or so.

I can't fault her results, her pho is pretty damn good too. But not like mamma made. If you want to try Lees soup, these are her places:

https://www.jasminedelimpls.com

https://www.jasmine26mpls.com

I used to go to Jasmine deli and get pho after blowing and shoveling snow when I lived by Lake of the Isles.

Last edited:
I like their bún with grilled pork (and an extra order of grilled shrimp on top) best, myself. I also like the Bánh Canh (Tapioca noodle soup) with mixed seafood.

I checked out the bún bò Huế recipes on line, I'd order that if it were offered- But it's not on the published menue and Lee & her family are from Kien Giang, on the gulf of Thailand, about as far from Hue as you could get in the old RVN. If you called ahead and asked? MAYBE.

They make their own bread for sandwiches daily, in the French style, a bún and a Vietnamese sandwich from Jasmine deli is awesome and will fill you up for little $s. I used to sell Lee my duck eggs and English cucumbers, when I had more time for growing my own stuff.

Last edited:

He he, when a person from Brussels is checking menus for restaurants in Minneapolis, you must know he really likes soups ;)

Just had one for dinner, probably one really strange for general public, made out of sauerkraut, beans and potato. Of course with some pork cooked on it. It's called Jota.

Not made by me, but also somewhat unusual:
Taiwanese stinky tofu wok with chilies, pork, pork blood, mushrooms, intestines, and bok choy.
IMG_2954.JPG

Damn. Soup ingredients I knew not of.

Had HEARD of the medicinal Tibetan zomby worm/fungus, but didn't know they were a soup ingredient.

The lights & livers + congealed blood sound like peasant food, people don't throw away much animal protein in a subsistence economy. European things like black pudding or blutwurst are near equivalents?

I like their bún with grilled pork (and an extra order of grilled shrimp on top) best, myself. I also like the Bánh Canh (Tapioca noodle soup) with mixed seafood.

I checked out the bún bò Huế recipes on line, I'd order that if it were offered- But it's not on the published menue and Lee & her family are from Kien Giang, on the gulf of Thailand, about as far from Hue as you could get in the old RVN. If you called ahead and asked? MAYBE.

They make their own bread for sandwiches daily, in the French style, a bún and a Vietnamese sandwich from Jasmine deli is awesome and will fill you up for little $s. I used to sell Lee my duck eggs and English cucumbers, when I had more time for growing my own stuff.

I’ve never been. I’ll have to check this place out.

I didn't make it to Jasmine, was overcome by hunger and had to stop & eat at Pho 79 instead. But still, a bowl of bun Hue'. Pretty good. Had the tendons, no chunks of congealed blood AFAIK. Spicy enough for a December day...

20191204_132832~2.jpg

How the hell can anyone hope to keep up with you guys?! Stunning dishes coming down like rain…

I really think we should have a recipe sub-forum on here. While I like nerding out about knives, to me, it's about what I can do with them, that is, the food :)

Any others interested?

Last edited:
How the hell can anyone hope to keep up with you guys?! Stunning dishes coming down like rain…

I really think we should have a recipe sub-forum on here. While I like nerving out about knives, to me, it's about what I can do with them, that is, the food :)

Any others interested?

I’m game if you can keep up with recipes in broken English and deciliters and grams!

Hah, Australia almost went metric before Europe did ;) It's the poor guys in the US you need to worry about. They still deal in stuff called "Fahrenheit" and "Miles". Probably "Furlongs" as well… :)

Australia is ahead of the US anyway. Always has been. By about 17 hours :)

Back