Soy pans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idemhj

Reaction score
I am well aware that Alex can be really annoying, but this video is actually worth watching once it gets to the point - fortunately it is not about him forging, but about Soy which makes what seems to be awesome (and really expensive) cookware

Last edited:
Those pans are works of art. I'd love to own some. I would not love to keep them looking good.

I am seriously considering buying the 20 cm saucepan (to replace my IKEA:)). Of course 345 $ is a lot of money, but not more than most of us would happily spend on a good knife. If I know myself, I would probably polish the thing vigorously for about a year and then let it go..:oops::oops::oops:

I am seriously considering buying the 20 cm saucepan (to replace my IKEA:)). Of course 345 $ is a lot of money, but not more than most of us would happily spend on a good knife. If I know myself, I would probably polish the thing vigorously for about a year and then let it go..:oops::oops::oops:
Nah, all these things are built to use. If you need to polish & display a saucepan, choose the ikea one for that (it certainly won't last forever if you use it regularly), but beat the daylights out of the copper one, that'll last forever!

Same thing with knives; display your cutco (err, "display" it in a box in the back of the closet), use your shig.

I want to like the Soy pans more, but the owners theatre and rhetoric doesn’t sit so well with me. I’ve watched a few videos.
It’s a turned pan same as Duparquets silver lined and solid silver pans. If I had to get a silver lined pan I’m leaning in Duparquets direction for now

I've had my large Soy saucepan for about 2.5 years. I've probably used it 4, maybe 5 times maximum and haven't touched it for the past year and a half. The silver lining has worn thru showing the copper base very quickly, with gentle cleaning. I certainly wouldn't ever use a green scour pad on something like this, but when trying get off the darker, enamel-like burned on residue, I used one of those Japanese "turtles" and just gentle rubbing under warm running water.

Additional thoughts; I might try to capture a picture or two of it. It's not a significant portion of the bottom of the pan, but a bit of a halo in the corners. Soap was obviously doing nothing to remove it, and you cant use aggressive things like oven cleaner or Comet (powder based cleaners), so I just had running water so I could hopefully see if anything was being damaged. In hindsight, it's probably best to either just live with the stuff there.

These are such beautiful pans to cook with over gas. But I only have electric and induction.

These are such beautiful pans to cook with over gas. But I only have electric and induction.
Copper gets a zero on induction, but on electric it certainly works. Are you saying that on gas it works better than everything else, while on electric it doesn't matter as much?

Got two kids in their thirties, I’ve been making loud boisterous dinners for them and their friends for years, they call me RickDawg.

One of my dreams is to get matching soy silver lined skillets engraved “RickDawg Dinner” for each of them.

Thanks
Ha! Now you have to change your used name to RickDawgDinner :cool:

USA buyers can get it on ebay CHEAP. I think the seller is an old soy dealer ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YT-Series-...293743?hash=item46bc9fb46f:g:nREAAOSw0axf2UDQhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/YT-Series-...291527?hash=item46bc9fabc7:g:nREAAOSw0axf2UDQ
more info about them can be found here In-Depth Product Review: Soy Turkiye (Soy Türkiye) Silver- or Tin-Lined Hand-Hammered Copper Frying Pan

My personal opinion that linetime silver warranty is great. I dont know if it covers s/h both ways, which would be $200...

I just didnt have a shaep of a pan i wanted. I am sure they can custom build it for me, but right now, I didnt need it.

Nah, all these things are built to use. If you need to polish & display a saucepan, choose the ikea one for that (it certainly won't last forever if you use it regularly), but beat the daylights out of the copper one, that'll last forever!
The best Ikea pot will easily outlast the Soy one, multiple times over, given your instructions to beat the daylights out of them. I certainly won't make any bets about the cheapest one at Ikea.

I am well aware that Alex can be really annoying, but this video is actually worth watching once it gets to the point - fortunately it is not about him forging, but about Soy which makes what seems to be awesome (and really expensive) cookware

These are maybe the most beautiful pans I have ever seen. 😱 And... I have been looking for a new copper pan. Thank you 😭

Copper gets a zero on induction, but on electric it certainly works. Are you saying that on gas it works better than everything else, while on electric it doesn't matter as much?
The main virtue of copper is it's responsiveness; any change in heat source very quickly translates to a change in the heating of the pan. But if you have garbage electric that only slowly adjusts its own temperature (because the coils need time to heat up or cool off) that doesn't really get you anything.

here is an example. I caramelized onions (to the color you see), then moved them to the side and put 2 lbs of wagyu beef cutoffs... pan is 16" 2mm copper/stainless paella pan from williams sonoma.

notice how browned meat is on top, side bottom of the image... heat is medium at best using bluestar, so prob 10-12k btu. Browned 3 min and then turned. I left 1 piece on bottom unturned, to show how it's not overcooked. I didn't have to use hood, etc...

Not saying it's the perfect pan, but I tried similar in cast iron before, and doesn't get me that crust. Once it cools off (when you put meat in), it takes longer to get it back up and by that time, the meat is not sizzing but steaming. I tried similar in demeyere atlantis 12.6" and I had to get heat to medium/high to get it to rebound just as fast.

2021-01-14 12.52.31.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Ptolemy for the heads up on the eBay deals. I ordered the bigger of the two pots, and lid. The pot alone was $510 at Soy Turkiye. I've seen Soy's stuff show up occasionally with a very mild discount/sale, but nothing like this. And there was no mention in the listing of them being any sort of seconds in terms of quality.

I'll follow up with a pic or two and a comment when it arrives, hopefully by the 19th. Shipping has been delayed, even post holiday season stuff is going slower.

I've seen Soy's stuff show up occasionally with a very mild discount/sale, but nothing like this.
I hope you end up with an excellent pot at a better than usual price. If it does have a minor cosmetic (not structural) defect, the right remedy is also the easiest one: cook with it a lot, which will give it a few more little scratches. And - enjoy your food.

I hope you end up with an excellent pot at a better than usual price. If it does have a minor cosmetic (not structural) defect, the right remedy is also the easiest one: cook with it a lot, which will give it a few more little scratches. And - enjoy your food.

It arrived last night when I was already at work. I might snap a pic later, but for the most part, the pot itself (which was a great price) is perfect. The lid, however, which I bought separately and at full price, has a few obvious flaws in it. In one spot on the rim, there's three burn looking marks that will probably polish out. A few fine scratches on the opposite side, and a few spattered dots of silver.

But the pot sits level, lid sits flush, no wobble. I love the weight of everything. Cassoulet here I come…..

A few fine scratches on the opposite side, and a few spattered dots of silver.
Copper is soft - soft enough that you KNOW it's going to have scratches sooner or later (actually just sooner), and soft enough that a very determined person with a lot of time on their hands can polish holes right through it. Every time you notice a scratch, look away, and go memorize a new recipe to distract yourself. When you stop noticing scratches, you'll have a great pot. 👍

Some piano manufacturers started putting a "satin" finish on their black pianos, presumably to hide scratches. It was soon discovered that on such a finish, the scratches come up shiny. Can't win. :)

here is an example. I caramelized onions (to the color you see), then moved them to the side and put 2 lbs of wagyu beef cutoffs... pan is 16" 2mm copper/stainless paella pan from williams sonoma.

notice how browned meat is on top, side bottom of the image... heat is medium at best using bluestar, so prob 10-12k btu. Browned 3 min and then turned. I left 1 piece on bottom unturned, to show how it's not overcooked. I didn't have to use hood, etc...

Not saying it's the perfect pan, but I tried similar in cast iron before, and doesn't get me that crust. Once it cools off (when you put meat in), it takes longer to get it back up and by that time, the meat is not sizzing but steaming. I tried similar in demeyere atlantis 12.6" and I had to get heat to medium/high to get it to rebound just as fast.

View attachment 110295

So, I bought one of these pans. Do you still like yours? My plan is to use it for a Paella pan. Have you tried Paella? I was thinking on using it to roast bones in the winter.

Onions will be my first test. I have a Mauviel carbon steel pan version and it did not pass the onion test on my Viking range very well. You would have to stir a lot to get evenly done onions.

So, I bought one of these pans. Do you still like yours? My plan is to use it for a Paella pan. Have you tried Paella? I was thinking on using it to roast bones in the winter.

Onions will be my first test. I have a Mauviel carbon steel pan version and it did not pass the onion test on my Viking range very well. You would have to stir a lot to get evenly done onions.
Yep

I still use mine for steaks, onions, pork chops, mostly when I need a very good crust .. I think once onions get to a certain point, you always have to stir them... SS is still SS, it won't make it non-stick.

I have not done paella in it, because I have a larger/deeper one. I don't make paella often (3-4 times a year), but when I do, I like to eat leftovers for the whole week. :)

Back