Quantcast

Special Steel ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
So i have a question for you knife makers.
When i went to Japan i got something very special in gift from my vendor.

It is very rare piece of steel only 1 blacksmith in japan that can forge it or working with it.
It is completely depleted now and i got the last piece of it, it is more rare then Tamahagene and more pricy.

It called "Togo-Reigou Steel"
here are bit info about it http://www.japan-tool.com/tech_knlg/Togo_Reigou_and_Yokoyama_Kunio.html

So are anyone familiar with it ?

IMGP9502.JPG

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is WAY cool. Keeping it original, or planning to forge something?

Mike Davis

Reaction score
That is pretty awesome! Maybe get a small glass case and display it with a description? Congrats.

Delbert Ealy

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of it before. That is cool, and great for you, but I would like to know whats in it.
Del

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am not steel expert at all ! But i will like to know more too

Here what i found

Very rare steel, "Tohgoh Reigo"
This product uses Tohgoh Reigo bought from The Andrews Company, UK in the 1930's. "Tohgoh Reigo" is one of the highest class steels of The Andrews Company, it is a fusion of Japanese Tamahagane and the western steel and it has a high endurance.
Since the production for this steel is declining and it has not been imported recently, its scarcity value is very high.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
So no one here ever try it ??

jklip13

Reaction score
I am currently testing out a 240 Kiritsuke in Togo Reigo, so far it takes an incredible edge but I cant comment on the retention yet

Nmko

Reaction score
Wow! that's pretty rad Maxim!!
I've seen 70mm planes made of Togo-Reigou listed for $1.3k... Can't imagine what a 240 would run at:scared4:

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently testing out a 240 Kiritsuke in Togo Reigo, so far it takes an incredible edge but I cant comment on the retention yet
Pics please!

jklip13

Reaction score
sure thing, coming up in a couple minutes while i take them

EdipisReks

Reaction score
the attachments don't seem to work. i would upload them at a place like imgur.com and then post the links.

ecchef

Staff member
Founding Member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks terrific! Where did you find the mythical beast?

icanhaschzbrgr

Reaction score
Emm… I belive kanji belongs to Konosuke and letter S indicates that steel is stainless

echerub

Founding Member
Reaction score
If I'm correct, this is one of 2 specially ordered and spec'd by Tosho. I think I saw the other one the last time I visited the store :)

echerub

Founding Member
Reaction score
That looks like the one :) It was tempting when I saw it and handled it, but the edge profile isn't quite as I would like. Definitely a personal preference thing. Taller from heel to spine than standard Konosuke kiritsuke though, which I think is a good thing.

CanadianMan

Reaction score
It looks very interesting, I might have to go check it out In person tomorrow

jklip13

Reaction score
Yes, it is made by Konosuke Sakai, the S stands for SUPER, normally they put only put it on their Aogami Blue Super knives allong with the Kanji for "blue". Here it is just Super however, i guess they didnt have a stamp for Togo Reigo. And Len is Correct, this was custom made a little bit taller and with a higher bevel than their usual Kiritsuke

Timthebeaver

Reaction score
So Tosho says it's made from vintage Swedish steel?. Togo Reigo is certainly British, albeit possibly made from Swedish ore (as was much Sheffield steel of the age). Hmm.

jklip13

Reaction score
Togo Reigo is a Swedish Sand steel (that's the style) made by the Andrews Steel company in England.

icanhaschzbrgr

Reaction score
Togo Reigo is a Swedish Sand steel (that's the style) made by the Andrews Steel company in England.
Swedish steel made in England, forged in Japan and sold in Canada. This thing have travelled a lot :biggrin:

and it looks cool!

Timthebeaver

Reaction score
Thanks, that's very interesting.

Sheffield virgin carbon kicks arse for sure, so I have no doubt that this stuff is top drawer.

ChuckTheButcher

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If what it says on japantool is true, which I'm sure it is, then I really really want a knife made from it. Some one should reproduce it.

Latest posts