Spending time with Mike's copper handle...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
So, the CCK arrived the other day, and I took it to work for a spin.

The knife was brand new; still had a thick lacquer coat on the blade. The handle was very smooth, very well shaped, and appropriately sized for the cleaver. The copper appeared to have the start of a patina, maybe wiped on?

So I used it to do my daily mes en plas of slicing and dicing a bunch of vegetables. A solid two hours of constant board use later the CCK started to take a nice patina on the edge. It was very reactive with onions, garlic and shallots. The handle, in sharp contrast, actually seemed to become shinier. It seemed where my hand made contact, the oils actually cleaned the copper of any patina. You can see where there is still some patina at the butt end of the handle.

After a shift on the board, I think I noticed the copper has changed from its original orange color to a more pink color.

Zero smell has been apparent on the handle or my hands thus far.

Will beat on it a few more full shifts and update again....

edit* I guess I can't post pics here, so I'll save em up, and post a few in the main forum at the end of it's run....

Nice write-up. Saw the pics on FB...looking good.

Nice Chris Thanks for taking the time. Maybe you could e-mail me the pics and I can post them

Alright, I had the knife for a little over a week. It did make its way through a weekend prep load. Again, I have noticed that hand oils tend to strip the patina. I have also noticed that copper is very soft, very prone to scratching. The patina actually darkens overnight, while not in use. It has taken some nice dark'ish brown swirls. I have yet to notice any oft smells from the copper itself or on my hands. While in heavy use I purposely tried to be messy with it, leaving onion and citrus on it, and such. My conclusion is that copper does patina, but no where as quickly as the CCK carbon steel. In one week and a few days of heavy use I haven't seen any pitting or corrosion. I would recommend continuing building a patina, and maintaining with mineral oil between uses. Hopefully the next in line can keep us updated with how it's holding up.

Thanks for the opportunity Mike! I wish I could have spent a little more time with it, but my family vacation to DC got in the way...most stressful vacation ever, btw. Who the heck can handle all the damn construction, people and traffic?

(I'll send Mike some pics in a day or so...)

Sorry forgot to upload these

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Back