spicy white steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the knife done. The heat treating went well. I forged the steel at low temps, then annealed it, cold forged the blade, did some conditioning quenches, final quench, subzero quench, and a double temper. I wondered if the subzero quench would cause some cracking but it didn't. I think that the additional grain refining steps helped. Hardness is at about 63-64 hrc.

Just waiting for the epoxy to harden all the way so that I can put an edge on it and try it out. Plan on making soup tomorrow. I'll keep everyone informed on what I think of the steel. Then it's off to JC for some pro kitchen use.

Hoss

Here it is.

003.jpg

A stainless san-mai with a "spicy" core sounds like my ideal gyuto.

Very nice! Looks like a narrow profiled gyuto. I like it! It just needs a nice dark handle, lol. :D

I understand the satanite part, but are you saying apply it like decorating a cake, through a little nozzle?

And whether or not you can readily produce a super sexy spicy hamon. Sounds like it might be time to break out the Satanite and the cake decorating bag, Hoss. :D

Yes. sir. Actually, I use John White's trick of cutting the corner off of a ziploc bag. Cheaper than messing up your pastry bag.
I understand the satanite part, but are you saying apply it like decorating a cake, through a little nozzle?

I like the narrower profile, maybe my favorite profile of yours to date!

The cladding looks more even behind the edge towards the tip than your previous san mai prototypes. Did you construct this one differently? Forge the tip a little to spread the stainless out a bit more to cover the core?

Man, Devin - I'm really, really liking the profile and steel of this knife! I agree w/ a previous post - this could be my ideal gyuto!!!

What is the grind like? How thin behind the edge and at the spine?

Are you gonna make this knife with this steel available for your customers to purchase? Cheers!!! mpp

The owner should get it today. I cut with the knife for a couple of hours and love it. It held up very well.

We'll see what the owner thinks. Should be able to offer some for sale some time.

Hoss

:D

Hey, is that my wallet running away and hiding in a dark corner? :)

Wow, exciting stuff Devin! I'm very interested in this too...and by the time my spot in line comes up, you'll have mastered it 8 times over.

Back