Split Pea Soup with Smoked Ham Bone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I made it and it seems good.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 25
Looks pretty good. I think split pea soup is not very popular because of the Exorcist. At least to me that movie is the first thing I think of when I hear split pea soup. I like to make cabbage soup with ham bones.

Looks pretty good. I think split pea soup is not very popular because of the Exorcist. At least to me that movie is the first thing I think of when I hear split pea soup. I like to make cabbage soup with ham bones.

How do you make cabbage soup? I am a soup lover. I just don't make it in the dead of summer when it is over a 100 degrees F.

This is how my uncle make it (tastes better but not quite as healthy). He makes enough for 10+ people, but I will add my recipe below which is a little healthier. I do not usually use recipes, just throw stuff in there and I think he does the same. You need a pot with a lid to steam the cabbage. You do not need much water because the cabbage will let out a lot of water. I like it very thick so I use barely any water, but my uncle uses more to make it a lot more soupy. He also eats it over rice. You will not need to add salt because the sausage and ham should be pretty salty.

Uncles recipe:
In a big ole pot, maybe 30-50 quart?
Put on med fire
Add
-4-5 cups of water
-4-5 heads of cabbage cut in half and then in chunks
-Stick of butter
-Black pepper
Let it cook down for maybe 30 minutes then turn to simmer
Add
-Two or three pounds of pork sausage cut in .5" lengths
-A few ham hocks or ham bones or anything like that
Cover and let it cook for several hours until the cabbage is very soft.

My recipe:
In a normal size pot, maybe 12 quart.
Put on med fire
Add
-About 1 cup of water
-One head of cabbage cut in half and then chunks
-Black pepper
Let it cook down for maybe 30 minutes then turn to simmer.
Add
-About one pound of turkey sausage cut in .5" lengths
-Package of ham cut in chunks (Basically a ham hock without the bone but I can't remember the name)
Cover and let it cook for several hours until the cabbage is soft.

Looks interesting. I may try it when I have another ham bone. My small town is known for sausage so I will probably use our local sausage. We are a BBQ town with 2 large vendors which compete against each other but sausage is the main item.

Split pea soup is an excellent recipe for a place where a lot of the conversation is about Japanese knives; the bone has hamon. :)

Back