Spoon prebuy (forks and spats too)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Ok guys,
I have been back and forth on this, but I have to now, I had something that came up and soaked up the funds that I had planned to use to buy materials. So I am asking all of you interested in a spoon or fork for a deposit. Given the range of projects posted in the spoon thread, there will be a range of prices as well, but I am thinking now about $200 for the tasters and $300 for the Koontz maybe a bit more for servers with the koontz bowl. Ladels are a possibility, and forks are a definate we just need to work out what kind and how big. The kicker here is that if I am to start on these on time I need a little seed money to get the materials in and the other things that come along with this. This is probably more of an explanation than other would give, but I am an upfront kinda guy. So what I am asking is for you that are interested, send me a pm with waht you are interested in and to paypal me $100 as a deposit so I can get moving on these as soon as I get the prebuy knives finished.
My paypal address is [email protected]

Thanks,
Del

For those interested in more than one project, make it $200 even if it is for 3 or 4 projects.
Thanks,
Del

Hi Del,

Are you going to do a grapefruit spoon? :crossfingers:

If you are interested in one I am up for it :viking:
I don't see any obvious pitfalls there :D

Thanks,
Del

Hi Del,

Just sent in my PP deposit for a grapefruit spoon!! I am going to send you the one I have so you can see the spoon size, as the shape and size is very important for it to work right!!

Cheers!!!... Eldon :knife:

Del,

Have you made a test spoon that we can see yet? I am interested but just curious as to what it is going to look like with your stainless damascus.

-Chuck

1) Are you doing the spoon I sent you?
2) it's not the one you listed "servers with the koontz bowl", or is it?
3) Do you want 100.00 per spoon?
4) update on chopsticks

Colin

Del,

Have you made a test spoon that we can see yet? I am interested but just curious as to what it is going to look like with your stainless damascus.

-Chuck

I have not made a test spoon of the tasters, but I like the shape and size of this one with a longer handle.
Del

spoon.jpg

Del,

Have you made a koontz spoon yet? I am interested in seeing what you stainless damascus looks like.

-Chuck

Del,

Have you made a koontz spoon yet? I am interested in seeing what you stainless damascus looks like.

-Chuck

Chuck,
I did make one out of AEBL, but I made it a bit thin. The damascus may look a bit different than this, but it should be close.
Del

konntz spoon.jpg

I am finally back on track, forging damascus tomorrow(actually later today)-all day. I am really going to try and rock these out and get them in the mail soon.
Thanks,
Del

So I wote the above message near 12:30 am and I tried to go to bed right after that, closed my eyes and laid there for 15 mins, nothing happened. Got up for a half hour and tried again, did this until 2 am and finally gave up, went out to the shop to cut up stock for damascus.(I have to get the kids up for school at 6 am and I knew that by 2 I wasn't going to get up at 6 even if a bomb went off) Tripped and almost fell on my face in the detritus of the past 2 months of knifemaking, decided unilaterally it was time for a bit of shop cleanup, so I spent the last 4 hours cleaning. I made some serious progress too. I feel a bit tired now, but better than I usually do when I get up at 6. If I stay up I'll go cut up more stock. On a side note we do have a dusting of snow now, its about time.
Del

So I wote the above message near 12:30 am and I tried to go to bed right after that, closed my eyes and laid there for 15 mins, nothing happened. Got up for a half hour and tried again, did this until 2 am and finally gave up, went out to the shop to cut up stock for damascus.(I have to get the kids up for school at 6 am and I knew that by 2 I wasn't going to get up at 6 even if a bomb went off) Tripped and almost fell on my face in the detritus of the past 2 months of knifemaking, decided unilaterally it was time for a bit of shop cleanup, so I spent the last 4 hours cleaning. I made some serious progress too. I feel a bit tired now, but better than I usually do when I get up at 6. If I stay up I'll go cut up more stock. On a side note we do have a dusting of snow now, its about time.
Del

I'm having one of those days too Del. Got into bed at 12 and its coming up on 9 now, and I've yet to get a minute of sleep. Turned into a cleaning/reading night. Take the day off to relax! The spoons may not get done today, but hey everyone needs a day to just relax!

Hopefully by working with spoons there's less chance of slicing off a finger if you make a sleep-deprived mistake!

Hopefully by working with spoons there's less chance of slicing off a finger if you make a sleep-deprived mistake!

[video=youtube;c4oHzFNclzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4oHzFNclzQ[/video]

Tell that to murray!

Progress
some billets starting out and 3 ready to be shaped into spoons.
You can see that although all the billets start out the same size they didn't finish out the same, trouble in paradise.
Not trouble that I could not over come though.
I did find out that the non-hardenable stainless damascus is harder to do that the 304 and AEB-L.
Del

stainless billets.jpg

stainless bars.jpg

Why did you have to post that?

It was in response to the guy who said "he would have less chance of slicing off a finger" referring to him working on spoons. In the video Murray made a spoon "shaving" sharp... It was just a joke.

It was in response to the guy who said "he would have less chance of slicing off a finger" referring to him working on spoons. In the video Murray made a spoon "shaving" sharp... It was just a joke.

My post was kind of a joke. I am the self appointed president of the crazy spoon guy club. And the inspiration behind the whole Damascus spoon movement:cool2:.
So I asked why you had to post that because I emailed MC, he sad he'ed sell me the spoon, it's on it's way...now I have to find out who in my family doesn't get a xmiss present this year:D

More progress, spoons polished and ready to form and etch.
I also had to do another billet with real sucess over 3 inches wide and over 18 inches long.
I added some work in progress of the billet as well, The billet fused and still in the can, the billet and pieces of the can, and the billet in progress of being forged.
thanks,
Del

spoons 2.jpg

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

sb4.jpg

sb5.jpg

sb6.jpg

with a spoon
[video=youtube;RSUGp9Yz1sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUGp9Yz1sk[/video]

Back