Spouses vs. Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NONONONONONO!!!! Do NOT encourage the guitar habit. (The Dejonges are GORGEOUS, tho...)

Could be worse. It could be a cello habit. My son is a professional cellist and his backup cello costs more than a Lexus (so does his bow, for that matter).

Oh man, at first it was okay because it was just one. Then by knife three, stones, etc. she was annoyed because I commandeered a drawer in the kitchen just for knives. While I always maintained anyone could use them if they followed basic knife handling protocols, she found that too tedious and complained about "all the rules." I bought, she complained. Then I bought our 12-year-old an inexpensive blue steel gyuto from JWW and my wife started using it. "Hey, this is easier to cut with, etc." I also made more of an effort to keep the old Henkels sharp for her. Then she bought a cutco for $60, and god bless me I had the sense not to say anything--until she started using it on the Boardsmith board and leaving deep scratches. At that point I deemed the Cutco a saw, not a knife, and banned it from the board. But we're in year four now of me loving knives, and I think we're past the worst. Over time she's come to appreciate the knives and now doesn't complain. Friends use the knives and are awed by, well, everything we love about them. So now we joke about her shoes and my knives. Maybe things mellowed because I sold a few early acquisitions that I no longer interest me, and I've told her my main objectives are relatively limited now: 1) Stefan handles on three knives, and 2) a Masamoto KS (used one out there anyone?). Took a while, but we're over it now.

Back