Spyderco Murray Carter Signature Series

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spyderco has many factories producing for them, I actually dont know if there is any real spyderco factory at all. maybe golden colorado??

both spyderco and fällkniven has made kitchen knives before (and I guess these are not very good compared to real stuff). but if they copy a good known pattern I guess these can be very good.

Allinall i dont think spyderco makes very good knives at all out of the box. and the HT is only so so from what i have read. not really optimal for the steel at hand. I do know that they have the CAPACITY of making totally badass stuff if they want to. and massproducing this too. if they want to that is. I guess we will see.

I don’t know what your experience with Spyderco is like, but mine has been very positive. I’ve tried a lot of their knives in many different steels and I wouldn’t say that their heat treat is not optimal, they are a mass producer and have to take into account that most of their customers are not knife enthusiast and don’t use or sharpen knives “correctly”. Sure you could improve on the heat treat, grind, etc if you made one knife at a time, but they mass produce so can’t push heat treats and grinds quiet as far. For a mass producer they are very good, in my experience.

My understanding is that they work closely with Phil Wilson on some of their HT, and he's done some impressive things with CPM steels in particular. I think they get into a lot of boutique steels that other mass production makers don't, especially with sprint runs and the Mule Team line. I'm thinking they're probably a great fit to do this line.

My understanding is that they're kitchen knife line is all MBS-26 and done by Masahiro, which is why I mentioned that in the first post, but this could also be produced elsewhere, and even from different steels. It's very interesting that they've done some knives in aogami super...

I have very positive experimce with Spyderco and their’s folders.
I am excited about this collaboration.

There was talk of them producing their new kitchen knives in CTS-BD1N don't know if that has anything to do with Carter series, but might be a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
Spyderco knives made in the USA are marked Golden, CO. They have Japan marked on them if made in Japan.

My understanding is that they work closely with Phil Wilson on some of their HT,

i kinda ****ing doubt that. phil does trial and error of most cpm steels. phil does optimal ht, spyderco has never done that. just saying. they would be better off letting larrin deciede the HT procedure of this line imo. or me. I can surely decide whats the best compromise for their steel. and so so can many others. But they have never ever done this. so its all semi ******.

i kinda ****ing doubt that. phil does trial and error of most cpm steels. phil does optimal ht, spyderco has never done that. just saying. they would be better off letting larrin deciede the HT procedure of this line imo. or me. I can surely decide whats the best compromise for their steel. and so so can many others. But they have never ever done this. so its all semi ******.

Talking like a true amateur. Keep it up buddy.

fwiw i have followed phil wilsons posts on BF since like 2002, but yeah i have not read any of his posts from the last 5 years or so. But i still kinda doubt he will make spyderco choose this or that HT regiment. highly unlikely. not one single spydefco knife that i know of has been HT'ed to the max so why would these be?? not gonna happen imo.

I would think murray carter's designs are also typically
thin/lasery and with his name on it maybe they will
small batch heat treat or something.

Lets see what they do.

IMHO they don't need to be heat treated to the max
just need to be 61-62 and not the usual 59.

I myself have no Murray Carter knives, but I know he is one of the best regarded makers on here.

Spyderco have designs from maybe 1-200 or so different smiths/knifemakers. In like 30-40 different steels.

And I dont think any one of those had any say on the HT and/or steel choice of their licensed models. So why would this happen now all the sudden??

I would love to have either phil wilson or murray carter to deciede steel and HT. but how likely is that to happen really?

Very excited to see what they are offering. I have nothing but (justifiably I think) the highest expectations of Murray Carter and Sal Glesser. Cant think of any other mass producer of folders with better QC, innovation, or ability to develop and work with a variety of steel than Spyderco.

Something interesting - I just remembered that Murray Carter sold off his Shiro line (made in Japan) at the end of 2018, saying that he was moving his business model from imported to all American. That makes me think that maybe the Spyderco line is the replacement - and if so, it would be logical that it would be made in Colorado rather than elsewhere.

Spyderco have designs from maybe 1-200 or so different smiths/knifemakers. In like 30-40 different steels.
And I dont think any one of those had any say on the HT and/or steel choice of their licensed models. So why would this happen now all the sudden??

I was assuming they are made in seki by masahiro, but in any event,
each line of knives gets HT (see: various steels) already...

Looks like the Carter Spydercos are going to be AS clad in 410ss... I wonder who is going to be the OEM for these?
Seems like a smart move for Murray--instead of starting a factory line, partnering with spyderco gets him a broader consumer base, name recognition, and a ton of marketing oooomph.

Seems like a smart move for Murray--instead of starting a factory line, partnering with spyderco gets him a broader consumer base, name recognition, and a ton of marketing oooomph.
And a lot less headaches....

I can see them taking market share from cutco and similar brands
sypederco people probably can sell into outdoor enthusiast market effectively
pretty large market that might not overlap with williams sonoma
but still value decent knives.

I can see them taking market share from cutco and similar brands
sypederco people probably can sell into outdoor enthusiast market effectively
pretty large market that might not overlap with williams sonoma
but still value decent knives.

Spyderco's largest retailers also sell kitchen knives Wusthof, Zwilling J A Henckel, Global etc...so they will get good exposure to a market that likes good knives and might not shop at Williams Sonoma, Sui La table or other sources for decent knives.
IMO, Spyderco wouldn't be doing this if their key retailers weren't asking for it....
https://www.knifecenter.com/shop/kitchen-knives

Back