Square knives are for squares

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that’s very Jeffrey Dalmer of you.

Honey I married an axe murderer

My wife calls my knife workshop the Murder Room. I have tried to explain to her that these knives are not weapons. Dismemberment Room would be more apt.

Be honest. Pan down and show us the chicken heads underneath. How high is that pile?

I don't usually have them all out like that. Some of these I'm getting ready to eBay and some are getting cleaned up for Christmas gifts. And some are my daily tools of the trade in for rehab. And all that's beneath is my dirty bench and a bunch more knives and razors.

IMG_20191117_193640.jpg

But underneath is just my work bench.

So what do you miss most when you put down the gyuto? The ability to cut onions or all the "just the tip" jokes you don't get to make?

Nakiris cut onions just fine, fwiw. Little more drag if you’re doing a tip swipe (which you can still do), but otherwise they’re onion destroyers.

Face it. You made this thread because subconsciously, you want a nakiri. Closeted, conflicted gay people are sometimes the worst homophobes, and I think this is similar. My wife’s a therapist if you need someone to talk you through your transition to square knives.

One more.
Unknown (to me) brand Chinese cleaver
I've been fixing it up awhile. For many years this was the world's sharpest accordion cutter. Usually the issue with cheap cleavers is the steel isn't very hard or the grind isn't very good. This cleaver suffers from neither of those problems but it had a bad case of what the razor guys call a frown. I gradually wore it into submission. The profile is tolerable now if still a little flat. This is a test run after thinning. It's basically a 12k zero bevel edge on a laser ground cleaver. It's going to be a Christmas present so I'll be sure to put a hefty micro bevel on it before I send it out into the wild.
IMG_20191118_121823.jpg

IMG_20191118_121220.jpg

IMG_20191118_121351.jpg

Nakiris cut onions just fine, fwiw. Little more drag if you’re doing a tip swipe (which you can still do), but otherwise they’re onion destroyers.

Face it. You made this thread because subconsciously, you want a nakiri. Closeted, conflicted gay people are sometimes the worst homophobes, and I think this is similar. My wife’s a therapist if you need someone to talk you through your transition to square knives.
What is this closet that you speak of?
_20191118_121921.jpeg

this is not a knife skills video, but meant to demonstrate how the weight of a thin nakiri does the work for you...

I dunno, after seeing all this cleavage, I might go straight edge...

Just got a 165 mm Watanabe Nakiri and it has seen most of my use the last couple weeks. I keep the watanabe and a Konosuke MM on my station at all times. Reaching for the Watanabe almost exclusively recently.

One more.
Unknown (to me) brand Chinese cleaver
I've been fixing it up awhile. For many years this was the world's sharpest accordion cutter. Usually the issue with cheap cleavers is the steel isn't very hard or the grind isn't very good. This cleaver suffers from neither of those problems but it had a bad case of what the razor guys call a frown. I gradually wore it into submission. The profile is tolerable now if still a little flat. This is a test run after thinning. It's basically a 12k zero bevel edge on a laser ground cleaver. It's going to be a Christmas present so I'll be sure to put a hefty micro bevel on it before I send it out into the wild.
View attachment 65007
View attachment 65008
View attachment 65009

Your clever says it’s made in China by “FoShan” (佛山, a southern city ) “San Ge” (三革)The last character is obscured so I can only guess this means Third ‘Ge’. So the maker was third brother Ge in FoShan city. The 3 means that it is a no 3 mulberry (thin) clever.

sadly a cursory internet search reveals nothing, I’d guess the maker is no longer operational or had much of a domestic reputation. Perhaps a small factory focused on the south east Asia export market in the 90’s?

Your clever says it’s made in China by “FoShan” (佛山, a southern city ) “San Ge” (三革)The last character is obscured so I can only guess this means Third ‘Ge’. So the maker was third brother Ge in FoShan city. The 3 means that it is a no 3 mulberry (thin) clever.

sadly a cursory internet search reveals nothing, I’d guess the maker is no longer operational or had much of a domestic reputation. Perhaps a small factory focused on the south east Asia export market in the 90’s?

Cool. Thanks for the info. I've actually had several Foshan cleavers. Three Rams is one of favorite brands and they were/are produced in Foshan.

One of my first cleavers was a "3 Rams" bought in the old Portland Oregon China town (1980's) for around $2.98. Very expensive even then . That store is gone along most of the other Chinese business in the area. I think I still have the knife but digging through my cleaver collection is a major task. :)

I’m a gyuto guy 100% but whenever I have been tempted by rectangular knives it’s been chuka cleavers over nakiri. I think it’s the 210mm edge instead of 165-180mm edge.
About once a month I do get that feeling that a cleaver would be fun to use, even though Im more than content with my work as it stands with gyutos.

Last edited:
How do you purchase things from razor sharp? There doesn’t seem to be checkout options.

It's pretty annoying tbh. They don't post prices publicly, so you have to message them on Facebook for the price. After that they'll ask if you want to buy it (feels a bit high-pressurey) so they'd send you a PayPal invoice.

Back