Stainless clad Mazaki gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbflat

Reaction score
Anyone buy one of the stainless clad 210 Mazaki gyuto’s from RazorSharp? If so, what’s the verdict...

I bought one and the knife they sent me was not actually stainless, there were spots on the cladding that were staining like regular carbon. I had them send me a replacement knife and they made me pay to ship the original knife back to Singapore. The replacement knife was ok, but obviously I was not happy with the customer service.

WTH?... thats BS.
All things considered, were they same knife just the wrong steel?

Same knife. Slightly different profile, but thats probably just Mazaki being Mazaki. Razor-sharp thought there must have been an issue with the cladding he used on that knife. I'm not really sure.

Here is a pic, the issue was happening on both sides of the knife:

IMG_5780.JPG

Bummer... I was thinking of getting the kurouchi finish.

I bought one and the knife they sent me was not actually stainless, there were spots on the cladding that were staining like regular carbon. I had them send me a replacement knife and they made me pay to ship the original knife back to Singapore. The replacement knife was ok, but obviously I was not happy with the customer service.
Wow. Sorry to hear about that.

The stainless they typically use for cladding doesn’t get hot enough during heat treating to put the chrome in solution. 403, 410, 416 are not stainless at the lower temperatures used for carbon steels.

Hoss

The stainless they typically use for cladding doesn’t get hot enough during heat treating to put the chrome in solution. 403, 410, 416 are not stainless at the lower temperatures used for carbon steels.

Hoss
Thanks,
I wonder if this explains why my Wakui stainless clad knives cladding has a brown tinge to it?

My wakui reacted sorta when I first got it, but I could just buff the weird brown tint off and eventually it stopped. Was odd but a short lived issue.

My wakui reacted sorta when I first got it, but I could just buff the weird brown tint off and eventually it stopped. Was odd but a short lived issue.
Mine continues to have a little bit to this day

Just gonna throw out that the patina on the edge steel below the staining is super black and spotty. Not surprised to see the discoloring on the cladding above that. Stainless cladding is really more stain resistant than stain proof.

Finally got one, really like it, middle knife.
Razorsharp states that the knife is made my Mazaki himself from begining to end.

20200622_155913.jpg

I snagged the last Kasumi stainless from razor! The knife came with minor chips (expected and discounted). Hoping to sharpen these out in the next few days to test against my carbon Kasumi Maz. loser will be on BST :) Some initial thoughts; handles aren’t as heavy as previous iterations making the knife way more forward balanced. Mazaki’s kanji on the stainless is more pronounced and the tip on them is slightly lower than previous iterations. Though not extremely important, OOTB edge was good but not as good as the carbon maz. F&F and measurements are about the same for the 210mm!

Attachments

• E7757FE5-D219-4CC5-9090-89C0C15A4804.jpeg
    E7757FE5-D219-4CC5-9090-89C0C15A4804.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 47
  • B46C8E95-767A-4856-AB3B-2A25930A7028.jpeg
    B46C8E95-767A-4856-AB3B-2A25930A7028.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 47
What is the pricepoint on them? Would absolutely love one a a line knife but they are not easy to come by in the EU

What is the pricepoint on them? Would absolutely love one a a line knife but they are not easy to come by in the EU

The stainless Kasumi ran me about $315 USD after shipping from Singapore. They still have a few KU left but it’s the smooth KU which I’m impartial to.

Good to know, might just go for a yoshikane and a deba from cleancut then for the same price :--)

Back