Stainless Steel Gyuto Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologise but since English is not my first language Maybe I didn’t express myself correctly .

What I wanted to say was not related to the steel composition or the metallurgy.

My previous consideration , which is based on “limited” personal experience was more related to the craftmans/ knife makers.

Unfortunately most of the time I asked some of the most well respected craftmans for a custom knife I was told that they don’t use stainless steel.

In regards to the best stainless . I was meaning the one that most suit in a professional environment. As a Chef I probably would say sharpeness and edge retention. ( and of course ability to resist of corrosion ).

I hope I have been more clear this time and I apologise again .
Those are only personal opinions.
And as so they might be wrong .

Thanks anyway for your polite reply .

I think that you are saying that you have not been able to find a knifemaker willing to make a custom knife in a stainless steel?

I'm interested to know who you have asked?

There are at least 3 Australian crafstmen I know of who will make a custom knife in stainless.

@Kippington uses Nitro-V which gives a fine edge not dissimilar to AEBL. His passion is in perfecting grinds, profiles and especially taper. His hook grind makes an amazing cutter, but the lazer, workhorse and "workpony" grinds get a lot of good reports too.

Mert Tansu (@chefcomesback) of Hunter Valley Baldes makes excellent knives in various steels including SG2. His workhorse grinds are superb.

Chadd Smith (not on KKF as far as I am aware but a google search will find him easily enough) of Tristone Blades makes great cutters in just about any stainless steel you want. Chadd has a fantastic understanding of the heat treatment of stainless steels.

I belive that all 3 of these guys are or have been pro chefs, so they have a good understanding of what works in a pro kitchen.

There are probably other makers in Aus.

There are also a number of makers in EU and USA making knives in stainless steels.

If you want to explore this further, perhaps start a new thread in "The kitchen knife" forum?

Last edited:
Will Newham is another from Oz. He uses nitro-V and RWL34 and I've been impressed with the 2 knives in these steels I've tried from him. @Andrei in Russia makes great knives in all sorts of steels stainless or otherwise, niolox, m390, elmax, etc. @HSC /// Knives makes excellent knives from Zwear which while not stainless is very resistant to corrosion and is an excellent steel. Bottom line a bunch of makers to pick from.

For home use, stainless steel like Ginsan, AEB-L and VG-10, when not in a Shun, are nice options. But I wouldn't really worry about the exact steel used and focus more on the overall knife.

For full stainless, I'd personally look at Tanaka Ginsan, Syousin Suminigashi, Gesshin or Ashi Ginga stainless.

SemiStainless I'd just grab a Gengetsu. Or Yoshikane. Possibly Masashi. Takamura Chromax.

To add to stainless steel knife makers in Australia:
Scheepersbuilt
DP Custom knives
So you already have quite some really good options in Australia for different budgets, shouldn't be too hard to find the right one for you

I keep a couple of Knives for traveling, staying in some mountain hut or whatever for a week. These I prefer to be non-reactive. i have a Kagekiyo ginsan- which is great and I think it is within your budget. right now Strata has a sale and you can get a Kagekiyo Ginsan 210 Gyuto for $275. check them out on Strata - gorgeous, precise, and practical. On this forum, people praise Kagekiyo mostly. The other one is ZDP 189 knives, they are non-reactive but very high HRC - around 63-65. I have one from Gihei, but you can get cheaper ones from CKTG. But the deal on Kagekiyo strata is hard to beat - snap it up. The 240 mm ginsan is gone already But 210 remains. Lastly, the SS Heiji, but it does require a bit more care - SS = Semi-Staimless in this instance

One last thing - the kagekiyo price includes Saya - which makes it an amazing deal. Strata, they also have 210 mm KU Gyuto ZDP 189 by Yoshida Hamono for $280 - great deal and good maker. Can’t go wrong - I have the 240mm and 270 mm Kagekiyo Ginsan - can’t say enough good things about it and the steel is easy to sharpen

Back