Stainless Wa Suji 270-300mm recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applepieforbreakfast

Reaction score
TL,DR: 270-300mm Stainless Wa Suji for ~$300 USD

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Sujihiki

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270-300mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes, full stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I’d prefer to stay under $300. If there’s something that performs significantly better, I’d stretch a little.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing cooked roasts (beef rib roast and smaller), carving cooked turkey breast (off the bone) portioning raw meat, possibly skinning fish filets, slicing watermelon, etc

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Tojiro DP 270mm suji. It cuts just fine, but now I like the balance and aesthetic of a Wa handle.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Mostly pinch, a little finger pointing.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Pretty much just slice for this one.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I think, for this, I might prefer a balance forward of the pinch.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I’d like minimal to no reactivity with food.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Given the comparatively low amount of use this knife will see, I feel that it’s hard to quantify this. I guess “long enough” to get through slicing a crusty rib roast on Thanksgiving or Christmas and still be mostly sharp after?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I think I'd like a fairly stiff blade.

Mazaki stainless ticks all your boxes. I don’t know that these are obtainable. In lieu of that, though this may be a slightly heterrific suggestion, how about the Hiragatake/Ohishi/Tadafusa/etc. SLD? I really like the edge of SLD and Ginsan for slicing crusty stuff like that.

Most of the stainless I've used / owned were a little light and flexi

Suggest you use 165g as a minimum weight and get into 180+ if you can.

Don't know of any off the top of my head that will meer your requirement within your cost threshold.

Gesshin Uraku would certainly be an upgrade from Tojiro. Worth a phone call re stiffness.

Mazaki stainless ticks all your boxes. I don’t know that these are obtainable. In lieu of that, though this may be a slightly heterrific suggestion, how about the Hiragatake/Ohishi/Tadafusa/etc. SLD? I really like the edge of SLD and Ginsan for slicing crusty stuff like that.

I have no idea why my iPad decided that heterodox should be changed to heterific but yeah.

I've got a 180 SLD gyuto from ToGo that I really like. 99% sure it's a Tadafusa, just a different pattern on the cladding.

Don't know of any off the top of my head that will meer your requirement within your cost threshold.

Gesshin Uraku would certainly be an upgrade from Tojiro. Worth a phone call re stiffness.

How far out of the price range are you talking?

Most suji I have seen are pretty thin, flexy and laserish. I have a Kono 300 White from JKI and it is thin and flexy, but I prefer a stiffer suji for some foods as well.

Kanehiro Ginsan Suji, Kato Nashiji Suji, Kurosaki Fujin Vg-10, all seem to be a bit thicker/heavier than some suji's when viewed online, but I have no personal experience with them. I would look for something with a visible shinogi; these seem to be heavier/stiffer than the fully ground ones just judging from the pictures?

One I loved, but is carbon core/ss cladding and no longer available is the ToGo As Laser series 270mm suji. Stiff blade and thicker, great convexing on it. I would look for an all stainless Kurosaki Suji (R2/SG2 or VG-10) suji.

I was gonna rec this one too but OP said stainless and this is semi. Although mine has yet to react to anything so it feels stainless. Wa, stiff enough (but still a lil flex), I’m confident can do all the task you require of it. Sub $300. I use it to portion raw meat and slice cooked meat. Also use it for boardwork from time to time. Quite happy w my Kaeru.

In my experience, SLD is close enough to stainless for this search. Pretty much not seeing any patina on 2 different SLD knives that I use fairly often.

its a fairly stiff blade

Back