Stainless Yanagi, a little "heft", ~ $300, suggestions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Friend wants to replace a yanagi and asked me to look up some recommendations. He wants stainless, 300mm, and around $300. He said he liked his old one a lot because it was a bit heavy...now I'm not sure exactly how heavy that is but just thought i'd mention it and see if it makes a difference in recommendations.

This is going to sound awful, but given what your friend is asking for, a Shun yanagi certainly fits the bill. Stainless steel with a lot of heft. Not a good yanagi from my viewpoint but it certainly ticks all the boxes from what your friend is asking for...

Hi all...let's say I can up it to $400 budget....any help please?

I used to have the MAC and it does not really have any heft, quality was not great

I replaced it with a Suisin which blows it away in every aspect

Forging stainless is very different from forging carbon steels, so finding a quality yanagiba in stainless is going to require the maker to specialize and learn by experience, which costs a lot of money.

Why's it gotta be stainless? If anything can be ultra-reactive and finicky, it's a yanagiba--it's used for cutting raw fish meat, not onions, oranges, or cabbage.

Sharpening a stainless Yanagiba sounds like a :bashhead:

its not so bad, but it depends on the maker... there are some really cheap ones "sushi chefs" here use from time to time... i hate sharpening those

Gotta talk him outta the stainless. A whole slew of much better options opens up. Slice a couple raw proteins and develop a patina and you are good to go. Just keep it clean and dry after use. You do that with stainless knives anyway right? :scratchhead:

I tried...he is sticking to the stainless (or stain resistant) option. I like the suisin inox 300mm also but its a bit too expensive....if I could find a used one that would probably be the best option! Anyways, he left it up to me to buy it for him but I'm still at a loss of what to get. I do want to pick out something good as I don't want him to be disappointed after leaving the choice up to me (I didn't ask for this, but I did agree to it).

330mate (ebay) has tanaka ginsanko single bevel knives. But I've never ordered from him and I think I recall people having issues with shipping times with him(or her?). Anyway I'm trying to convince another somebody that carries tanaka knives to stock the ginsanko versions. But as of right now I think he needs to see a larger interest. Mark ********...

Back