Starting my search for a new gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilGator

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my current knife in the next few months so I figured I would get started on the research.

CONUS

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I am thinking 240.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
300US plus or minus a few bucks. This is why I am starting research early. If I have to wait and save I will.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All purpose home cooking. Most commonly slicing meats and veggies.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Miyabi Koh 210 guyto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Durability (mainly quality), my current knife has begun to bow slightly.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No Damascus, prefer wood Japanese style handle

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
My current knife is super light, and I like that. But that is probably the reason that the blade is bending, so I probably need to go heavier than I currently have.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Just getting started sharpening so ease would be best, good food release would be nice but not necessary

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Does anyone ever say "I would like this knife to go dull as quickly as possible."?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Rubber

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
I certainly need to learn more.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Not this instant

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Thanks in advance for the advice.

I had posted this comment in another rec thread, and would probably recommend the same here - depends a bit on what you're looking for in terms of grind and geometry obviously, but two very recommended knives on this forum are:

First, on the thinner side, wakui
https://www.aiandomknives.com/colle...iro-wakui-white-2-gyuto-240mm-magnolia-handleFairly light, good distal taper, people really love it for the price.

Or on the slightly thicker side, munetoshi
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-240mm/Also from sanjo so has a similar distal taper, will be a little heftier and likely have a bit better food release.

Do a bit of searching for either on the forum - people really like the steel and geometry of these knives.

I can vouch for the Munetoshi. I picked up a custom 210 from RSK and it's a pleasure to use and great on the stones. Fits and feels good in my hands and isn't very reactive. The spine and choil area aren't rounded, but all the corners were knocked off so they're not sharp or cause any problems.

this would be my pick for your criteria and budget
Hitohira-Kikuchiyo-Kyuzo-Migaki-White-2-Gyuto-240mm-Knife_720x.jpg

My current knife is super light, and I like that. But that is probably the reason that the blade is bending, so I probably need to go heavier than I currently have.

I suspect the blade bending is due to your technique rather than the thinness of the knife. You should take a closer look at how you’re cutting to see if you’re putting lateral stress on the knife before acquiring a new one, otherwise you might just end up repeating the problem or chipping the edge of a harder steel.

A heavier and thicker blade will be more tolerant of abuse, but proper technique will improve the whole food prep experience regardless of knife. It’s a little hard to imagine what might make the whole blade bend, but maybe you’re torquing or wiggling the knife while cutting thick produce like melons or squash to force the cut due to a dull edge or wedging.

In any case, here’s a couple to consider. Both a regular version and a heavier version.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/kaeru-kasumi-stainless-gyuto-240mm/https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/kaeru-kasumi-workhorse-gyuto-240mm/

I would go with the normal stainless Kaeru. Even tho it has a thin edge it is a robust knife. I have not tried the WH but I think the normal would be in most peoples' wheelhouse.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with the Munetoshi 240. And because of the free shipping and and discount I was able to order the 210 version for my brother as a groomsman's gift (Hope it gets here by the 18th!!!)

I really like all of the suggestions. It really came down to cosmetics (even though I said those were not important, that is how good the suggestions were) and the fact that this one was on sale. It was a good thing that I needed a groomsman's gift or I probably would have debated myself too long and missed out on the discounts.

Thanks again.

I really like all of the suggestions. It really came down to cosmetics (even though I said those were not important, that is how good the suggestions were) and the fact that this one was on sale. It was a good thing that I needed a groomsman's gift or I probably would have debated myself too long and missed out on the discounts.

I tend to only buy knives with some sort of bling (ku, tsuchime, damascus, etc) so I totally get it. I love dark ku finishes, personally.

So here it is. I'm excited.

First of all, big props to JNS. They were closed through the 7th. The sent the knives on Wednesday upon their return. And in my hands (in the Southern US) before noon on Friday. I guess some of that credit also goes to DHL, but JNS was wise enough to use them.

This knife is impressive in the hand. I haven't put blade to food yet, but it went through paper like nothing was there. The weight and balance of it feel so nice. I was really worried that I wouldn't like the weight because I have been using a Miyabi Koh (super light and thin). But it isn't overly weighty and the balance feels really good.

I can't wait to start putting the patina on it. Any recommendations on what to start off with? I would like to get a nice blue patina if possible.

Just a side note - This is my first hand made Gyuto. I bought the Miyabi on the recommendation of a friend that went to culinary school. It served it's purpose. Not anything special when you compare it to the knives that are talked about here on a daily basis, but miles above the OXO Good Grips knife that I was using. From there I decided that I must have a nakiri. So what do I do? I joined KKF and sought out your advice. Therefore I ended up with the Wat Pro. Excellent recommendation/choice if I do say so myself. Even if it is far beyond my ability at the moment to push this knife to its potential. Finally, it came time to upgrade the Gyuto. Back to KKF I go and so I end up with the Munetoshi. I will probably lend the Miyabi out to friends just to demonstrate how inadequate their current knives are, but it will always be special to me for starting me on this journey.

NEXT. . . a petty!

Attachments

• Full Right.jpg
    Full Right.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Angled.jpg
    Angled.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Geometry.jpg
    Geometry.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Little Family.jpg
    Little Family.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 27
I have read that duck breast works well. I have a couple I can defrost and just wipe the blade with. Any thoughts?
Any meat tends to add blues. When portioning stuff, you can just take some meat scraps and rub over the blade, let it sit for a while, rinse in hot water and repeat as desired.

Back