Steak knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough haha. I have gotten steak with my friend before and the knives were not up to par. Glad he had a custom S125V Shirogorov to handle the job....but it just so happens he carries it everywhere.
steak.jpg

See, it isn't as wild and crazy as many people make it seem to be.

I'm surprised more knife nerds don't engage in this practice, but like I said, steak is more of a special occasion and not a regular eating experience. But I'm sure there are many EDC guys that wouldn't even consider pulling out their Benchmade Bugout. It's like, what the hell is it even doing in your pocket?

Hi. I’m a product designer with a somewhat proletarian/utilitarian aesthetic, at least for certain things. If something functions beautifully, is well made from nice materials, pleasing to the eye, and is practical (that includes cost), then it often wins the contest.
I chose Pallares Solsona knives with olive handles. I chose stainless blades so I don’t have to tend to the cutlery while my guests move on to dessert. They are easy to buy ($), easy to maintain, good looking (100% subjective), function beautifully, and are very nice in hand.
After using them a few times, I’m ready to break out the beeswax to fill the gaps.
Pallares Solsona is just under a 3 hour drive away from where I live,
I see these knives in some local restaurants around me

Last edited:
I hate when I order a nice piece of meat and they give me a dull as **** serrated knife that shreds it all to hell. I have an ebony handled Opinel and a very nice laguiole that remedy such situations. It always skeeves me out when I see people using their EDC folders on steak.

folders.jpeg

193600-chiseled-spine.jpg

At home, if I'm the only one eating, I'll plate on a cutting board and use a nice petty.

262445220_10105988183279798_4234341913986994134_n.jpg

But mostly we use these el cheapo wooden handled steak knives I got from the Sabatier K outlet in South Carolina. They're nothing special, but they have a classic look and feel and I don't have to murder the edges on my nicer knives.

EDC = “everyday carry” folding knives. It’s not a single style of knife, but it’s the sort of thing made by companies like Spyderco and Benchmade.

“Skeeves me out” means “makes me uneasy” or “kind of grosses me out.”

Wow, not everyday do you even almost get to translate N. C.
@btbyrd that Laguiole is a fine looking table knife. Some of the cats on this thread might want to consider it's dual purpose may save on cork fees too.....

EDC = “everyday carry” folding knives. It’s not a single style of knife, but it’s the sort of thing made by companies like Spyderco and Benchmade.

“Skeeves me out” means “makes me uneasy” or “kind of grosses me out.”
Thanks. I referred to the „skeeves me out“ part. EDC, I knew what that is…

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, and I’ve decided I’m just going to buy 8 TF mab pettys for my house.

Fair enough haha. I have gotten steak with my friend before and the knives were not up to par. Glad he had a custom S125V Shirogorov to handle the job....but it just so happens he carries it everywhere.
That is wonderful. I notice he wasn't willing to let the precious thing touch that metal plate.

btbyrd

I think this happens in like an emergency. I don't trust what you used that folding knife for before it got to the dinner table, but I understand the sentiment. Better than nothing.

It would be preferable to have a nice knife so that you at least put in an effort. But it just isn't normal for people to get to restaurants for steak that often.

Besides, if you are at a local diner, pub, bar & grill, breakfast place, whole in the wall than yea, disinfect that EDC and go to town LOL

No I need to find me a cheap lightweight cutting board. This is why I take breaks from forums. I just find more reasons to spend money :facepalm:😆

Terayasu Fujiwara (maker) Maboroshi (knife line). Some reading material:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tf-chronicles.57649/

Thank you for that. It’s good reading.

Some nice steak knives on this thread. I went the cheap route mostly cutting pork chops she will eat if I cook. When make curries like local style big cuts of potatoes & carrots we will use these to cut in half while eating . Carbon steel Opinel. When sharpen take off most of patina esp. bottom of blade. Sharpening over the years starting to get frown at bolster. When bought wood on handles not protected at all so coated them. Just buff if get funky. Look like crap but razor sharp. Keep one on magblock small pointy tip comes in handy. Looked them up still 10.00 each.

Was looking at some nice Laguiole steak knives on Amazon reasonably priced they are stainless serrated edge. 2022 bought a carbon steel Laguiole sharpened it. Haven't used it other than cutting whole fruits. Like the blade on it. Going to cut some pork with it. Would love to bring it to Steakhouse here.
We have done it before she ordered seafood & I had steak.

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230314_115931903.jpg

IMG_20230314_120608294.jpg

I'm late to this party but will admit to having sprung for the Zwilling Pro steak knives that match the knives in my block. I got them for about 1/3 of retail at an online auction. Still worked out to $30 something per. But I will say they are lovely to use. They do well with china/pottery plates and I never sharpen them. The honing steel gives them a perfect toothy edge for steak, etc.

I also confess to pulling out whatever is in my pocket at the steakhouse. Usually a case but sometimes a Boker or a Benchmark. If I've planned ahead it will be a gifted knife from a Spanish friend, a friction folder by Spanish maker Pedro Bermudez.

The problem with steak knives is you need like a dozen of them. One will not do.

Hi everyone - thought I'd piggyback on this thread given it's on topic. I'm still learning about knives (and will have a lot to learn about sharpening) but read this and some other threads recently as I'm looking to acquire some steak knives for the new house. I'm starting on a clean slate.

So far, the Perceval 947 and 888 (in plastic) and the Laguiole en Aubrac collection (in Olivewood) have caught my eye (expensive but still acceptable... Perceval seems to be roughly 65% the cost of the Laguiole en Aubrac due to material choice/options).

I'll be looking to ultimately have knives to serve up to 6 people but don't necessarily need to immediately purchase all 6, so I'm deliberating whether to get sets of 2 slowly as I see good deals/configurations over the course of months/year. Not even sure if these popular brands, as well as others such as the Wusthof classic Ikon, maybe Shun, Tojiro or Miyabi Koh and others, do discounts or not?

Wary it's very much personal preference but any collectors who have built up a collection of steak knives of different brand and design at home who could share your thoughts and first hand experience? Anyone who has thought about it but concluded it wasn't ideal to do so?

Easiest and probably cheaper would probably be for me to purchase a set of 6 Perceval 947/888 (my current preferred choice, given they're relatively cheaper than the en Aubrac's and cheaper than Wusthof, Miyabi Koh and Shun which I've also looked at; Perceval's 14C28N steel also appears marginally better spec'ed than than the en Aubrac's 12C27). I could also play it up a little by choosing 3 different colours of the Perceval (2 of each), which adds a bit of variety without complicating things too much. Again, very much personal preference, but also want to hear if there's a common opinion out there.

Cheers!

I don't think you're really going to notice a huge difference in steel quality, especially when using it on ceramic plates.
There's also a few issues with shooting for 'razor sharp':
-Do you really need razorsharpness? (no)
-Do you even want to bother maintaining at that level? It's just extra work, and if you keep a lower standard you won't have to get all anxious when your guests are abusing your edges
-Is it even wise to give non-knife nerd guests a razor sharp edge on their steak knife. People who are not used to razor sharp knives often have bad knife habbits (whether it's just putting fingers on edges, or licking knives).

IMO for steak knives, the subjective experience is determined mostly by things like handle size & heft, blade profile and blade size. But when it comes to those variables there's probably a lot of differing opinions as well (even if only because people have different hand sizes).

And FWIW, based on some fake imitation Laguiole knife that had a similarly decorated spine... I'm not a fan. It absoltutely sucks for cleaning. Not sure if the same applies to the real stuff but it'd at east be a point of concern for me.

Cutting & cleaning fish a sharp blade is best. Isn't it the same with other meats as the juices are better than using a dull blade that most steak knives are. Except for KKF members. 😁

So far, the Perceval 947 and 888 (in plastic) and the Laguiole en Aubrac collection (in Olivewood) have caught my eye (expensive but still acceptable... Perceval seems to be roughly 65% the cost of the Laguiole en Aubrac due to material choice/options).

Wary it's very much personal preference but any collectors who have built up a collection of steak knives of different brand and design at home who could share your thoughts and first hand experience? Anyone who has thought about it but concluded it wasn't ideal to do so?
I have the Perceval 888 in olive wood. They are an absolute pleasure to use.
I much prefer the clean style to the Laguiole knives.
P1050951.jpeg

Another good choice is a Roland Lannier, who worked at Perceval before starting his own brand.
https://rolandlannier.com/en/He makes very cool knives including a set of cheaper steak knives.
KKF won't let me post the link because the name includes the word bulls*t, but if you scroll through his selection you'll see the line called "Cut the Bullsh*t".
https://rolandlannier.com/en/category/couteaux-de-table/cut-the-********/

Cutting & cleaning fish a sharp blade is best. Isn't it the same with other meats as the juices are better than using a dull blade that most steak knives are. Except for KKF members. 😁
I'm not saying they should be dull... but IMO one shouldn't be striving for hair-popping HHT razor sharp on steak knives.
Actually with boning work there's also a point where 'too sharp' becomes a problem; the knife will just go through everything, even the things you don't want it to. :D

The problem with steak knives is you need like a dozen of them. One will not do.
I don’t know. I think it depends on how you entertain. My particular household would be fine with 4-5. I ain’t making steak for more than that. Or rather, I’m not inviting people over; 4-5 is my household plus my oldest.

If you’re a party animal that knows how to buy and cook meat, I guess buy your dream quantity.

Even after all of that, my house wants me to serve their meat already sliced. We actually only need 1-2; Me and my oldest. So my cleavers or a suji is my steak knife.

Back