Steam or Combi oven for home/residential - thoughts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Early planning stages on a kitchen build (new construction) and wondered if anyone has one or the other (residential), Pros/Cons, worth it or not, etc. Currently in SoCal but moving to Washington so my outside cooking all year will take a hit a bit so will need to be able to move things inside a bit / BGE's & konro are moving with me so with a some planning the 'hit' will be mitigated.

Just wondering about impact to cabinetry (steam) and whether the it adds a benefit or not.

We had one years ago and found it great for chicken, veges, etc.. OTOH, if we build when we move I wouldn't give up the space to it (I think) as we're much more likely to be slow-cooking food these days, so less perceived need for it.

I went for steam for our new oven last year. I wasn’t sure how much I’d use it, but having had it wouldn’t be without now. Haven’t noticed any impact to cabinets in the time

I also opted for one with an inbuilt thermometer probe (was easy to add on and the thought was easier to get the extras now).

That’s been great for roasts, which being a Brit we have fairly often.

Reliably rare beef everytime

21F4FA74-7735-4C0D-9119-BE79166DB76E.jpeg

I had a Neff steam oven that did include the thermometer for slow roast core temp, sous vide etc. It also allows for adding a bit of steam baking, full steaming of stuff. For the house to be built we have one in the plans, we used it more than anything even when we had a full size regular oven on the side.

Back