Steel Cut Oats

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromo33333

Reaction score
Been getting into this - 1 cup steel cut oats, 4 cups water, prepared one of two ways:

1. Put it all in a slow cooker (i.e. Crock pot) and let it cook all night (~6-8 hours)
2. Put it all in a pot, and cook for 15 minutes, turn off the heat, put lid on, and warm it up in the morning (My grandfather made it this way)

I have tried using a pressure cooker (Instant Pot) and it works out OK ok so long as you put it under pressure for about 10 minutes, and let it slow cook for an hour. May as well just cook it on the stovetop, I'm thinking?

Any other ideas out there?

(This morning, I used the crock pot method, and I used my new Chef's knife to dice some apples, and cook with some brown sugar, cinnamon, and made a topping to go on top of the oatmeal, and fried up some canadian bacon to go along with)

I do method 2 (your grandfather's) in your post, adding a three finger pinch of salt at the start of cooking and fresh whole milk and honey on the side when serving it the following morning

I like my porridge made with half water - half milk. Bring it up to simmering hot, scatter the oats in, some sugar, some raisins, stir 'til thickened, off the heat, lid on top, let it sit for a bit.
Brits like it scalding hot and runny, i prefer it luke warm.
You can put in any fruit, honey, cinnamon, whatever you like.

Been eating them for years, keeps my blood work happy and they get off my back about the burgers now and then :p

bring water to a boil, pinch of salt, cinnamon stick, add oats, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

add toppings when youre ready to eat. heat up some heavy cream, stir in brown sugar, golden raisins, honey, roasted pecans (blanched in salted water, then coated with melted butter and cooked in oven), sliced bananas

bring water to a boil, pinch of salt, cinnamon stick, add oats, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

add toppings when youre ready to eat. heat up some heavy cream, stir in brown sugar, golden raisins, honey, roasted pecans (blanched in salted water, then coated with melted butter and cooked in oven), sliced bananas

Oooh...haven't roasted pecans recently.
Is the pinch of salt for boiling water just a default thing?

Back