Steel of Heiji knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
Who knows what steel Heiji knives are made of. Heiji writes on his site: "special Sweden steel" and "Japanese iron".

Is there anyone who knows more? And who knows how reactive this "special Sweden steel" is (assuming it is carbon steel).

And the same question for their semi-stainless knives: what steel is this made of?

honestly,
i would be more concerned with the fact that that guy really knows how to treat those metals properly. I couldn't tell you much about the specifics of his materials but heiji can bring out the best from them, which is of primary importance.

What dispo said.

I'm no more concerned with what steel Heiiji uses in his knives than I am with what wood he uses in his saya. It's Heiiji steel. Probably proprietary. Even if you got an answer how would you verify it?

I believe it's' the same special steel Shig uses, special should be all you need to know.

I know Heiji is one of the most respected knife makers. I know his heat treatment is very good. I'd just like to know what the steel (carbon and semi-stainless) is.

Semistainles is SKD11 or 12. Does it tell you much? :)

Curiosity is curiosity. It'd be neat to know. No need to dogpile with cultic mantras about "maker not steel" this time.

Curiosity is curiosity. It'd be neat to know. No need to dogpile with cultic mantras about "maker not steel" this time.

Look at the threads the OP starts.

the carbon steel is the same as what shigefusa uses... the iwasaki special carbon. The semi-stainless he would rather have remain a secret.

One of the problems with forums like this is that people dont always respect makers wishes in that regard, and once its on here, its out there forever.

I think 'labor of love' indicate mhlee reread OP.

the carbon steel is the same as what shigefusa uses... the iwasaki special carbon. The semi-stainless he would rather have remain a secret.

One of the problems with forums like this is that people dont always respect makers wishes in that regard, and once its on here, its out there forever.

Like Greg Oden's leaked pics.

I want to know what I am Buying!!!!!......I don't give crap about how "Respected" the maker is.....You are selling a product!!!....There's no Magic in knifemaking....All that "Super Secrcet" and "Special" talk is just a bunch of Bull$hit!!!.....My OCD needs to know.....I may not be alone with opinion....or maybe I am

I want to know what I am Buying!!!!!......I don't give crap about how "Respected" the maker is.....You are selling a product!!!....There's no Magic in knifemaking....All that "Super Secrcet" and "Special" talk is just a bunch of Bull$hit!!!.....My OCD needs to know.....I may not be alone with opinion....or maybe I am

Then buy something else. No harm, no foul. Plenty of feedback is available on this forum for anyone who wants to know how heiji steel performs if you use the search function. I love both heiji steels and could care less in regards to what steel is used.

Thanks guys! That gives some insight. It's a knife that performs great and it's nice to know what I'm cutting with.

Im with you mark at of all my knives the one that is never leaving me is my heiji.

Then buy something else. No harm, no foul. Plenty of feedback is available on this forum for anyone who wants to know how heiji steel performs if you use the search function. I love both heiji steels and could care less in regards to what steel is used.
I agree with Mario that not knowing and having wool kept over the eyes is irritating. That you don't care is wonderful, but then why are you telling others, including competent knifemakers, that they shouldn't care? It is well understood by reasonable people (and especially by those of us who have heat-treated steel; I have, and I think Mario has) that heat treatment is critical, but we still like knowing what's actually in the dish and don't like being told it's special secret this or that.

I thought Mario was being a smartass...I agree with LOL, if a maker wants to tell you, then fine but if not and it bothers you then go elsewhere.

The funniest part of this thread is that Mark asked about Heiji's carbon which is not the steel that Heiji keeps secret--it's posted on his website I believe--he certainly will tell you by email if you ask;)

I thought Mario was being a smartass...I agree with LOL, if a maker wants to tell you, then fine but if not and it bothers you then go elsewhere.

The funniest part of this thread is that Mark asked about Heiji's carbon which is not the steel that Heiji keeps secret--it's posted on his website I believe--he certainly will tell you by email if you ask;)
Yeah Mario may have been facetious, but I agree with some of it nonetheless. It is fine to say "I don't know" in cases of secrecy, but that's not being done here. Rather, we get some patronizing regurgitated mantra about trusting the maker. Yes, I can accept that folks don't know, and can choose to shop elsewhere or proceed to buy in ignorance, but I'd prefer to not have my curiosity derided.

The point here though is that it's not a secret, Heiji clearly states what carbon steel he uses and is just as clear that his semi-stainless is a secret. 3 pages to get to something that you can Google is what can be frustrating.

I thought the swedish stainless was aebl. Anyone?

I am not aware of Heiji making stainless...just carbon and semi-stainless.

As to AEB-l, I believe it is a Swedish Stainless, but Swedish Stainless is not necessarily AEB-l.

According to Gator's guide, it's made by Uddeholm, while the similar 13c26 is made by Sandvik.

I agree with Mario that not knowing and having wool kept over the eyes is irritating. That you don't care is wonderful, but then why are you telling others, including competent knifemakers, that they shouldn't care? It is well understood by reasonable people (and especially by those of us who have heat-treated steel; I have, and I think Mario has) that heat treatment is critical, but we still like knowing what's actually in the dish and don't like being told it's special secret this or that.

Relax man :). I never told anybody here that they shouldnt care, but rather that the actual steel mattered very little to me. Sure, I would like to know what the steel is I guess...but thats not going to change any of the great characteristics of Heiji knives.

I dunno, I thought my response was civil. Maybe not. In any case it is what it is. There are so many makers to choose from, if it irks some here that certain makers prefer to keep the steels they work with secretive then you should probably just avoid doing business with them. I dont think complaining on forums will change a makers policy in this regard. I suppose you can try.

Back